Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Read: 1 Corinthians 9

"Do you now know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win." 1 Corinthians 8:24


Examine:

The church at Corinth was comprised mostly of Greeks. The Greeks enjoyed two main sporting events, the Olympics and the Isthmian games. The Isthmian games were held in Corinth so the analogy of competing to win was very familiar to them. Paul, in this chapter, outlines to the church that just being a Christian was not enough. He implores them to model their lives around three main things: Denying things that could impact their ability to share the gospel, being a servant to all men with the goal of leading them to Christ, and disciplining themselves to do whatever it takes to position themselves to maximize their prize in Christ.


Apply:

Self-denial is covered in verses one through eighteen. The context of these verses is not saying no to things that I am not supposed to do. That is covered later. The context of these verses is denying things that I have a right to but using that right would jeopardize my ability to win people to Christ.


A call to serve all men is covered in verses nineteen through twenty-three. The context of these verses is not mercy ministry intended to just meet a need of another person. The context of these verses is intentionally doing whatever it takes to position myself to win a person to Christ.


Finally, striving for a crown is covered in verses twenty-four through twenty-seven. The context of these verses is clearly saying know to things that hinder me from competing to win.


Pray:

Self-denial. As I look at those words this morning I am a little alarmed by what I feel inside of me. Father, my pride refuses to be denied of something that I feel I deserve. My pride resists saying no to something that is desirable and not sinful. This morning the fight I feel going on in me is against the desire to be recognized and rewarded.


Serving all men. I look at this phrase and it is all well and good unless it means tolerating a person who gets under my skin. Serving is easy as long as it is a feel-good venture. Father, I hate being annoyed and there is nothing more annoying than serving people who are ungrateful or even adversarial. The fight I feel going on inside of me this morning is against the desire to give people what they deserve.


Striving for a crown. Where my treasure is there my heart will be. Father, I do not value my salvation as my only crown. Your call on my life is not the sole prize in my life for which I strive. I count the things I must refuse as a loss and mourn for them. I resist sin, but I often resist as one who struggles against something he longs to have. The fight that I feel going on inside of me this morning is a battle for control of my heart.


I confess to You this morning the sin that I have clearly seen in my heart and I also profess to You my desire to be seen as a man who denied himself, served all, and strived for a crown. I pray that all I do today will be done from a heart that truly desires only the things that advance the kingdom of my God.

No comments: