Friday, May 7, 2010

A Little Blah

Read: James 3

"For we all stumble in many ways. If anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to bridle the whole body as well." James 3:2


Examine:

Nobody is perfect and able to live without sin. The goal of the Christian life is not earthly perfection. As long as we are of this world perfection will be unattainable. The goal of the Christian life should be the passionate pursuit of the heart of God; knowing that perfection will come in the life that follows this one.


Apply:

In reading this chapter I am reminded of two key areas in which I will stumble. First, the things that I say. James uses the analogy of a rudder directing a ship to describe the power a man's tongue has on his life. I have the power to speak blessings or curses. In just a matter of seconds something can slip from my mouth that can cause untold amounts of pain for me and for others. I need to pay close attention to words I speak.


The second key area in which I will stumble are the things that I think. What I think will ultimate be revealed in the fruit of my life. The thoughts I entertain in private will eventually play themselves out in the things I say and do. Thoughts of self- depreciation, selfish ambition, bitter jealousy, or vengeful anger are caustic poisons. I need to pay close attention to the things I think.


Pray:

Father, I am feeling a little isolated today. As I sit here this morning I am really struggling with what to pray. I am not sure of what is up. I feel sort of "blah." Something just feels out of place and it is really frustrating me. When I get really frustrated controlling my thoughts and tongue becomes increasing difficult.


I pray to You this morning asking for Your help. Your word says that You are a God who draws near. I ask that I be able to sense Your presence this morning. Invade my heart, mind, and soul. Comfort me. Restore my strength. Nurture my soul. Fill me to a full measure of all that I need to live the life to which you have called me. I ask that the overflow of my heart produce actions that are bathed in Your gentle wisdom and words that speak of Your heart and peace.

No comments: