Tuesday, May 11, 2010

No Cliche

Read: Psalm 60, 61, & 62

"On God my salvation and my glory rest; the rock of my strength, my refuge is in God. Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us." Psalm 62:7-8


Examine:

David affirmed that God was His Source of safety (Rock), deliverance (Salvation), and security (Fortress). He would not be shaken. God was his Salvation and his Glory.


Apply:

This is a fun verse to read. It is a fun verse to quote. It is very easy to use this verse as a cliché and then attempt to take care of business on my own or retreat into darkness and process my pain alone. It is really easy for this verse to roll off of my lips and then immediately shift my focus to anger or resentment because someone has left my needs unmet.


My source of safety. My hope for deliverance. My impenetrable security. The promise of this verse is amazing. It is much more than a cliché. It is far greater than empty religion. It greatly exceeds any promise found on earth. This is the God of the universe promising to be these things for me if only I walk after Him.


Pray:

Father, this is not a promise to have life my way. David uttered these prayers to You in the midst of trouble. No matter what happened to him he always pursued You. That is the lesson for me this morning. I do not want to experience You in pain; I would rather my experience with You help me avoid pain. When bad things start to happen I often lose site of You. I gripe. I grumble. I sin. That is my confession to You this morning.


I hunger today for the truth of this verse to meet me in my present circumstances and in the conflict I currently face. I do not want out, I want You. I do not want escape, I want deeper faith. I do not want to fix things, I want to see You do something that I could never do on my own.


You hold me up today. You are my strength. You are my rock. You are everything I need to be all that You desire for me to be. You have dealt graciously with me in the past and the best for me is yet to come.

No comments: