Monday, May 10, 2010

Steadfast Heart

Read: Psalm 56, 57, 58, 59

"My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast." Psalm 7


Examine:

These four chapters from Psalm contain some very real confessions of David. In each Psalm he is facing some serious opposition from some seriously evil men. As I read these things I am reminded that standing firm with a steadfast heart while being attacked by another person is a process.


Apply:

First, I have submit my hope and fight to God. That is what I see in chapter fifty-six. Just like David, I have to press into the heart of God. The temptation is to turn on God and get frustrated, but that is the work of my enemy. Above everything that is going on I have to maintain complete faith in my good standing with God and trust that my deliverance will come from Him.


Once I have aligned my heart and hope with God I need to pray for rescue. That is what I see in chapter fifty-seven. This is not a prayer for the situation to go away, it is a prayer for God to stop the bleeding in my heart. I need to seek God for an immediate place of comfort so that I can get my head back on straight, find relief from my emotions, and discern the best path for closure.


The first two steps are defensive. The next two are offensive. In chapter fifty-eight David prays against his enemies. As I read his words I am reminded that following Christ is not agreeing to be passive. As long as I know I am without sin in the situation I need to pray hard against the person attacking me and I have to know that God will oppose the proud who attack the innocent.


Finally, I have to pray for deliverance. In Chapter fifty-nine David prays for God to get him out of the trouble and to prove the Glory of His name. This is the hardest step. I often want vengeance more than I desire deliverance, but that is not a good model. I must release this desire. My personal vengeance can only stir up more trouble. I have to give this to God knowing that He will set me in a secure place and make right the things that defile His name.


Pray:

Father, when trouble strikes I often just want to get out of it as quickly as possible. This morning You have reminded me that deliverance comes, but it is the result of a process that takes some time.


As much as I hate waiting I submit to what You are asking of me. Much of what I a know in life and most of the strength that is within me is the result of the trials that I have worked through with You. Most the pain in my life and many of the weaknesses I have, have all been caused by me trying to get out of a jam on my own and in a hurry. Your way is clearly better.

No comments: