Wednesday, May 19, 2010

More Than Milk

Read: 1 Corinthians 3

"I gave you milk to drink, not solid food; for you were not yet able to receive it. Indeed, even now you are not yet able." 1 Corinthians 3:2


Examine:

Paul called the Corinthians infants in the Christian life because they were not yet spiritually healthy and mature. The proof was that they quarreled like children, allowing divisions to distract them. Immature Christians are "worldly," controlled by their own desires; mature believers are in tune with God's desires. How much influence do your desires have on your life? Your goal should be to let God's desires be yours. Being controlled by your own desires will stunt your growth.

(from Life Application Study Bible)


Apply:

My desires assert to much influence on my life. What I feel or don't feel consumes me. If my emotions are strong then I am strong. I my emotions are weak then I am weak. My inner desires lead me around and have more control on me than they should.


My goals are fleshly in nature. I do not think my goals are immoral or dirty; but they are very much about me, my convenience, and my joy. I want things that create for me freedom and comfort. I have an agenda and I want God to pursue it.


I want growth without sacrifice. I say I want to grow near to Christ, but I really do not want to be greatly inconvenienced by what He asks of me. Thinking about sacrificing my lifestyle for a deeper pursuit of God does not always seem so invigorating.


Pray:

Father,

My desires can lead only to death. Even my greatest intentions and highest ambitions will ultimately lead to nothing. You could give me every desire in my heart and I would eventually find myself longing for more. There is no satisfying them.


I offer You today the best dreams that I have for my life and ask that You burn them. I do not want them anymore. My only desire is that You give me a greater expression of Your heart. I want to follow the dreams that You have for this life You have so graciously given to me.


I need to hear Your voice today. The fear that I feel regarding what You are stirring in my heart is more than I can handle on my own. My flesh wants a conditional pursuit of You and without Your strength and guidance I will collapse under the pressure.


Your word reminds me that if I ask You for Your best You will give it. It also reminds me that Your idea of what is best differs greatly from my own. Lead me today so that I may discern the difference.

No comments: