Saturday, August 13, 2011

Love God First

Read: Zechariah 6
“And it will take place if you completely obey the LORD your God.” Zechariah 6:15

Examine:
It would take a lot to complete the temple of the LORD. There were a thousand different things that had to happen perfectly for this monumental task to be successfully completed. But the success of this task did not hinge on plans, provisions, or connections. Success completely rested in obeying God.

Apply:
We took a get away this weekend to Durban and security is a little different here than it is in Pietermaritzburg. There is an armed guard standing 20 yards from my backdoor. Before I went to bed last night I locked all the doors (including the safety cage that protects the bedrooms) and set the alarm system. Based on where we are these measures are unfortunate, but prudent. As I think about this, I am taken aback by how little I regard protecting my family spiritually. I am the gateway to my home. I am the spiritual filter through which all things enter. I have a tendency to forget that. Time passes and I drop my guard. I slip up, nothing bad seems to happen, and I take that to mean my sin had no consequence. Upon making that choice I adjust my lifestyle so that my new normal inches closer to the sin line; sad but true…

Why is that? I sit with anger that I know is not righteous. I long for things that are not mine. I resent God for messing with my normal and stop pursuing Him when it becomes inconvenient. My experience of God goes flat and so I withdraw. Days can pass and not find me ever really hearing God speak. All of this happens and yet I never fall on my face out of reverence for God, fear of consequences, or brokenness over my sin. If following after God is so important to my life then should I not give it my greatest intention, my strongest ambition, and my clearest focus?

Pray:
To completely obey You means that I love You first with all that is within me, love everyone I come in contact with more than myself, center my life on the power and mission of Christ, and then go radiate Him to as much of the world as possible. Based on my knowledge of what You taught us Jesus those are the commands given.

To love You first means to model Your integrity and character and as perfectly as possible. I seem to want to do that as little as required. Loving others first means that I should never be offended or see my needs as first priority. I seem to be easily offended and fight for my needs first. Centering my life on Christ means dying to myself and taking Him into the world demands losing my normal. All I want seems to be insurance from hell and as normal a life as possible.

I love having this conversation with You. Hebrews tells me to not despise You when You correct because the marrow of life is found in it. If You are bringing it to mind then it is because You have decided it is time to eradicate it. I want You to have my first love. I want to never again be offended. I want the power of the Holy Spirit to fully indwell my soul and then I desire nothing more than to see that power explode on the world I call home. I turn my eyes to You this morning knowing in faith this will be done.

No comments: