Monday, August 8, 2011

Stronger Prayers

Read: Zechariah 4
“ 6 Then he said to me, “This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel saying, ‘Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’ says the LORD of hosts.” Zechariah 4:6

Examine:
The greatest asset in completing a task from God is the Spirit of God.

Apply:
I get 16 hours a day that I am actively engaged in something. I spend the first hour of each day in the Word asking God to adjust my heart. I normally spend the next 90 minutes of my day getting the kids to wherever they are headed for the day. Work comes in as the kids go out and takes 8-10 hours of my day. The balance of my time is taken up by eating, spending time with my wife, and trying to find some down time. This is a typical day. Saturdays are days to catch up on yard work and carve out some “me” time. Sunday’s are church days and down time. That is the rhythm of my life; normally.

Over the past couple months my routines have been completely demolished. In moments like these I am allowed to see things through a lens that colors my life differently. As this has happened the assumptions upon which I base my life have been challenged. I say God is first, yet he only gets about 8-10 hours a week. If I really believe that being centered on God is the most important factor in determining a successful life then I am a fool if that is all the time I give Him.

Pray:
I need to walk in power of Your Spirit. I need to spend time with You in conversation that is deep, real and tangible. I need to know Your character, know Your voice, and know Your power. I need to see those things manifested in my life daily. I do not rely on them because they really do not exist in my life in a moment-by-moment way. At best I hope those three things are leading me and at worst I turn to them when I get in a bind I can’t handle.

There are three things I sense that You are saying are hindering my prayer life. First, my prayer life will never be stronger than my relationship with my wife. Second, my prayer life will never be greater than the amount of faith I use. Lastly, You will never respond to prayers that are harmful to Your plans.

I submit to what You are saying today. I understand there is much to learn and I ask that You guide me. The first thing You laid before me is my relationship with Brandy so I ask that the power of Your Spirit lead me today in being a better husband, that Your Spirit lead Brandy in being a better wife, and that Your Spirit lead us both in being better followers of You.

No comments: