Monday, August 22, 2011

Let's Go!

Read: Zechariah 8
“9 Thus says the Lord of hosts: Let your hands be strong and hardened, you who in these days hear these words from the mouths of the prophets who on the day that the foundation of the house of the Lord of hosts was laid foretold that the temple should be rebuilt.” Zechariah 8:9

Examine:
Before this new Word from God came to the people all previous attempts at rebuilding had failed. They worked their fields but the crops would not grow. They saved their money but circumstances stole it away. They stepped out in faith only to watch their enemies triumph. This word from God called them to step towards things that had failed in the past, trusting in the new things that God was saying to them.

Apply:
Three things that I see for me this morning: past experience, a new word, and strong hands. It is important to know that a new word from God will likely call me back into a negative past experience. I see this in the life of Moses, Abraham, Peter, and many others. Failure seems to serve as the training ground for God’s movements in my life. Past experiences are not irrelevant to my life today. There are rich lessons to be learned from them and I must be a good historian of them. A new word from God is hard to accept because many times it calls me toward wounds from my past. That is where the strong hands come in. I need to know my past, but I mustn’t be controlled by it or try to predict God by it. When God speaks I have to muster up my faith as it will demand strong hands to put this word to work.

Pray:
There are currently three “words” I have from You that are proving difficult. I believe that You have called me to be a voice and vessel of blessing for the work here in South Africa, I believe that You are asking me to put more emphasis on sharing Your gospel of grace, and I believe that You are stirring within me a stronger desire to minister into the lives of others through the Holy Spirit, prayer, and the scriptures.

I am afraid. There is so much emotion stirring inside of me and most of it speaks to my past experiences of failing in following after You. I don’t doubt You as much as I doubt my ability to hear You clearly. But here is where I am right now. As much as I doubt myself, I trust in You. Your Word says that You will never let me stumble as long as my ways are submitted to Yours. There is nothing on my heart right now that serves me. As a matter of fact all of it costs me greatly. Because of this I trust that my ways are in fact aligned with Yours. So, let’s go! I am not holding anything back from You. I want You to have the fullness of my obedience today, the total focus of my heart, and the complete attention of my resources. Use me as You will.

No comments: