Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Two Types of Praise

Read: Zechariah 9
“9 Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion! Shout in triumph, O daughter of Jerusalem! Behold, your king is coming to you…” Zechariah 9:9

Examine:
There are two types of praise on my mind. One form comes after something good has happened. It is an easy form of praise because it only requires gratitude. The second form of praise comes before something good happens. It is difficult because it demands vision, necessitates faith, and counters logic.

Apply:
Praise should never leave my lips and it should always be looking forward. Praise that comes after success is short-lived, but praise that precedes something promised can be savored for a long time. Praise that comes after the dust has settled is accompanied by a small reward, but the God of the heavens blesses praise that is offered up in complete faith. My eyes should be continually searching the horizon, my feet should be constantly running towards the battle, and my lips should be incessant in the offering up of praise.

Pray:
If nothing else is given to me today, the promise of Zechariah 9:9 has already been given. I have You Jesus and You are more than enough. But my sense is that You want me to offer up praise for three other things today. First, I am grateful that my former prosperity will be returned to me. All that has been lost in this pursuit of You has not really been lost. You see and bless those who freely give to follow after You. I have held nothing back from You and I praise You today because I know that You will not hold back anything from me either. Thank You.

I also praise You today because You have made me a bow and mighty sword. The enemies work in this place is awful. Many see it and run, but by Your grace I have found myself thrust into battle here. I praise You for Your victory here. You have bent me as a strong bow and will soon fire me out like a strong arrow. I rest in Your hand today as a strong sword and will soon be used to cut down the evil that rules this place. Thank You.

Above all of this I praise You today because I have been made whole, my sins have been redeemed, and my adoption as a full-heir son has been sealed. I am completely Yours and You are completely mine. You are my defender, my strength and my blessing. Nothing compares to knowing You God as a Father, knowing You Jesus as Savior, and knowing You Holy Spirit as the Helper. Thank You.

No comments: