Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Battle Tactics

Scripture:
"For what joy can we render to God for you in return for all the joy which we rejoice before our God…" 1 Thessalonians 3:9

Observation:
As I read this passage this morning, I see a battle plan rolled out. When looking at Paul's writing in this chapter there are 5 things that I see: 1.) Know your enemy. 2.) Pray earnestly. 3.) Don't focus on yourself. 4.) Balance waiting with taking action. 5.) Celebrate victory in spite of losses.

Application:
In verse 5 Paul says that the reason he sent Timothy was that he knew Satan's tactics and feared those tactics had been successful. There are some great reminders for me to remember in this. I need to recognize how Satan fights against me. He is real. God is real. The battle between them is real. I had better know that and be engaged with what is taking place around me. He will systematically wage war in my life. Knowing his tactics will help me know how to respond. Just as Paul was taking pre-emptive action to head off an attack, I should learn to do the same.

In verse 10 Paul says that they were earnestly praying night and day. Prayer is hit or miss for me. It is confusing. What do I say? How do I say it? Am I asking for the right things and in the right ways? As I think about it I am realizing that my prayer life really struggles. There is a transformation that needs to take place in me. Prayer is a critical part of my battle with Satan. If my lines of communication with God are not working I am going to run into trouble.

In verse 3 Paul says that in the midst of all the trouble they were facing his fear was that the Church in Thessalonica would hear of it and fall away. This verse really pierced my heart this morning. I have a tendency to be more than a little self centered. If I am in pain, all I can think about is that pain and its impact on me. But not Paul. His walk with God filled him with so much personal contentment that he was able to communicate clearly with others through his pain. His heart was on establishing God's mission for his life, not on what troubles he faced. He kept in mind the overall mission and did not focus in on the current battle.

In verse 1 Paul says a couple things that I find interesting. First, he says "when we could endure it no longer." Second, he says, "we thought it best." This reminds me no matter what I think or am told, there are times in life that I just have to move. I definitely need to pray and wait on God, but there is a time and place where I just need to take action. It would appear to me that Paul denied his compulsion to take action and prayed over it with others. But then there reached a point that he could no longer wait and even though it was not 100% clear, they did what they thought was best. Sometimes the worst tactic in battle is to not move.

In verses 6-9 Paul celebrates. I don’t have to be much of a theologian to understand that by the worlds standards Paul did not meet the criteria of a life worth celebrating. Yet, he gives me an incredible reminder of the fact that there can be joy in the midst of pain. I need to constantly contrast the struggles with the victories. If I become solely focused on what is wrong, Satan will wear me out. We were made to worship and celebrate God. I can’t do that and be pessimistic at the same time.

Prayer:
Thanks for reminding me this morning that I am in a battle. Continue to open my eyes as to what is taking place around me. I pray that you take control of my quiet time with You and grow it beyond all that I can ask or imagine. I desire that more than riches and fame. Create in my prayer life a level of intimacy that can endure long seasons of staying before You. Help me to never lose sight of others by focusing on myself and teach me to understand the ways of Satan in my life. I want to become proactive in defending the lives of those You have entrusted to me. In the midst of all that is happening in my life help me bring to mind the good so that I don’t get lost in the bad. Give within my heart a sense of joy and celebration that supersedes anything this life can throw at me.

I love You. You have been more than generous to me in this life. Your ways lead to peace. Obedience to You is the best source of peace and the only one that is lasting. My heart's desire is to be wrapped around the center of Your will for my role in fulfilling Your mission.

No comments: