Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Twisted Scripture

Scripture:
"Even so consider yourself dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus." Romans 6:11

Observation:
The meaning of this verse seems quite clear. We are dead to sin and alive in Christ. This entire Chapter of Romans speaks to the fact that we are no longer held captive to sin and have been made free from it.

Application:
I think that I mostly have this verse backwards in my mind and it seems like this statement from Paul plays itself out backwards in my life. I often feel like I am alive to sin and dead to God. I mean it sounds really bad to say that. I could join the ranks of those who quote verses such as this and act like they mean it, but really what is the point. I do not believe that any thing good can come from denying what I feel inside.

I resist sin as much as I can, but I do not resist it as one who hates the thought of it or is dead to it. I resist it more like I resist a cookie or a piece of cheese cake. And I try to obey the things that God has asked of me but I do not do it as one who is alive in following the command. I obey more like a child who complies only to avoid a further beating.

So what's up with this? What is it about sin that is so alluring to me and what is it about seeking righteousness that feels so burdensome?

Prayer:
I never consider my feelings or emotions to be truthful for I know that they are not. Though they are not true, they are powerful and quite deceptive. I can read a verse like this and before long my emotions and feelings are taken over by Satan and he can take me down to a really low place. I feel very inadequate. I do honestly FEEL like I am still a slave to sin and separated from You. But that is not the truth. According to this Chapter from Romans, You have made me dead to sin and alive to You. Help me take command of my feelings and emotions. I want to consider myself to be the same as what Your word promises me to be. I want to resist sin as one who resists death and I want to follow Your will as one who pursues the best joy. I have the truth of this chapter twisted in my mind, help me as I try to get things straightened out as they should be.

No comments: