Friday, May 16, 2008

Be a Real Friend

Scripture:
"We urge you brethren, admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with everyone…But always seek after that which is good for one another." 1 Thessalonians 5:14-16.

Observation:
The definition of "friend" has really become a loosely used term. What does it mean to be a real friend? Paul lays out a few things to consider.

Application:
The first thing a real friend does is admonish unruly behavior. As I think on this point I realize just how important it is. I also am reminded that I have to be careful. I should move forward only after I have examined my own life. I should also really assess what is taking place in the life of a friend. Unruly here is defined as more than sin or weakness. It is rebellion. It is gross negligence of duty. It would be equivalent to a solider going AWOL. When a person abandons their responsibilities in their spiritual life, family life, work life or any other aspect of life; a real friend is their to confront them.

The second thing that a real friend does is encourage the faint hearted. Life is rough. This world is a fallen place. It is not home. As long as I am here difficulties will be around. Everyone experiences times when they lose heart. A real friend is there to encourage another. Sometimes this is hard, especially when the person's heart is faint over an event that I do not understand like death or illness. I need to be the type of friend that pays attention to the condition of people's hearts and is there to be an encouragement. Even when I don't know what to say.

The third thing that a real friend does is help the weak. Help means to give or provide what is necessary to accomplish a task or satisfy a need; contribute strength or means to; render assistance to; cooperate effectively with; aid; assist. A real friend is there in a time of weakness to provide whatever is necessary to get a person through what they are facing. My friendship with another person should always call me to be there in a time of need regardless of what that need looks like.

The fourth thing that a real friend does is remain patient. This one is hard. We are all broken people. There is not a single person on this earth that is lacking the ability to be a royal pain in the backside. I need to remain patient. I need to surround myself with people willing to be patient with me. I love the way this verse ends, "But always seek after that which is good for one another." A real friend is there to offer a place of forgiveness and grace. He is there to allow a person to simply be the broken human being that he is.

Prayer:
What a challenge. The desire of my heart is to learn to be that type of friend to others. It is also my desire to be surrounded by these types of friends. Guide me today to confront things that need confronting, to encourage faint hearts, to help where there is weakness, and offer patience to those who need it. My nature fights against this. It is hard work to be a real friend. I thank You have made is possible for me to do all things for which You have called me to accomplish.

No comments: