Monday, May 5, 2008

A Prayer of Sending

Scripture:

Psalm 20


Observation:

This chapter contains an amazing prayer to offer up for people.


Application:

Last night represented a crossroads for Brandy and I. We have co-led a small group with some very close friends for around 4 years. God has done an amazing work in the lives of each of us. Through that time, there was been an amazing bond developed between the members of the group. Even though the group is healthy, last night was our final meeting.


The reason for splitting the group has nothing to do with our personal preferences. It is God's stirring in us the desire to see other groups planted. There are so many people that need to find a place where they can be loved, accepted, and challenged to grow in the application of their faith to their life.


Each person in this group represents something very special to me. As I sit here this morning, I feel led to pray this Psalm for my former group.


Prayer:

As long as You have given me to be a part of this group of people, I have tried with all that I have in me to be a faithful steward of the time we have had together. I have laid my life open before them and shared every word that You have laid on my heart. I have listened intently to everything that was said, every request that was made, and I have labored in prayer for each of them. I am so very grateful for the times that we have shared and all that You have accomplished in each of them. As we close out this group it is my hearts greatest desire that they go out and multiply the work you have done. This morning, I offer a prayer on their behalf.


Remind them of Your presence during the times of trouble that will inevitably come their way. Be with them in these times of trouble and may you teach them the greatness of Your great name. Let it be the only thing they turn to for deliverance. As they seek You, I pray that You send them help from Your sanctuary and support them from Your high and lofty position. May every sacrifice and offering they make be acceptable before You.


With each step of faith they take, open doors before them and clearly lead them in the way You would have them to go. I pray that You continue to purify their heart with pure desires to be closer to You and that You move before them to fulfill every desire they have to impact Your kingdom. I pray that You prove the power of Your name in their lives.


As we all go our separate ways in our pursuit of You, I pray that You keep us connected. Let us be able to celebrate together the great work that You have planned for each of us. Let us always remember that it is in You we have purpose, significance, victory, comfort and strength. May we always pray for each other and live to see You fulfill all our petitions.


Over the coming weeks we will have to assess our lives and seek the direction that we should take. Please keep us from looking at our own strengths and weaknesses as a determining factor for where we should go. Our own assessments of ourselves are of no real impact. The only thing that we need to seek is Your right hand to guide us and deliver us. Remind us daily that anyone who walks in Your counsel and relies on You for deliverance will never be put to shame.


May You, my King, answer me as I call on Your great name. May You do all that You have placed on my heart for each person I pray over this morning. Not because of anything that rests in me, but because of Your great desire to prove Yourself worthy to a world that is lost and longing for a relationship with You.

No comments: