Friday, September 5, 2008

Easier Heard Than Done

Scripture:
"I took the little book out of the Angel's hand and ate it, and in my mouth it was as sweet as honey; and when I had eaten it, my stomach was made bitter. And they said to me, You must prophesy again concerning many peoples and nations and tongues and kings." Revelation 10:10

Observation:
The Bible can be an incredibly inspiring book. So many times I have picked it up in need of strengthening my faith or seeking direction with my life and I have never failed to find what I needed. But God's Word is not all fun and games. There are times when God speaks to me things that I wish I did not hear and the action that I need to take with the words spoken to me are not all that fun to deal with. Simply stated, some things are easier heard than done.

Application:
The book of Revelation is hard for me to stick with. As my reading plan carries me through it, it has been really tough for me. There is so much of it I do not understand and the questions it brings to my mind threaten my sanity. In the middle of my reading this morning, God has reminded me of an incredible truth. Discovering the right thing to say or do while in the company of friends, advisors, or in isolation is sweet as honey, but acting on what you know can really turn your stomach sour.

Prayer:
One of my greatest fears in life is that You are going to ask me to do something that I don’t want to do. It is easy to say that I will follow you anywhere, but deep inside I know that there are places I just don’t want to go, words I just don't want to speak, or changes I just don’t want to make. I can't count the number of times that I have found myself feeling like John felt in this passage. In a moment of clarity I have received clear instruction and everything inside of me came alive and I felt fired up and ready to go. But then a little bit later the emotions died down, the fire from the vision died down, and the reality of the road ahead made my stomach turn. Repeatedly, in those moments, I let the sourness in my stomach overtake my ambition to change and fall short of accomplishing the task handed to me.

I confess to You this morning my weakness and frailty. I need Your strength in my life. More than anything, I desire to walk before You secure in our relationship, grounded in purity, and clearly on my mission. I pray that you do a work in my life that allows me to live securely in the land You have given me so that those observing my life may know that You are God. I am grateful that in You is all the strength, wisdom, ingenuity, peace, comfort, and leadership I need.

I am amazed at the power of Your Grace. In the midst of confessing my own sins and shortcomings, I can do it without fear, guilt or shame because of the blessing of Your grace. Thank you for the gift of forgiveness that came through Your Son. My standing before You is not based on my performance and in that truth lies my only hope.

No comments: