Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Wrong End

Scripture:
"As for these four youths, God gave them knowledge and intelligence in every branch of literature and wisdom; Daniel even understood all kinds of visions and dreams." Daniel 1:17

Observation:
Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego were the real deal. God gave them all the things that make a person successful. They were the best of the best before they were carved out for special treatment by Nebuchednezzar. They were given access to what ever they wanted. Anything was at their disposal. Nothing was out of reach. They chose to stand for what they believed in. As a result they received not only the blessing of man, but God's hand blessed them as well.

Application:
I start with the want. Steven Covey says to begin with the end in mind, so that is what I do. I see the goal and I want it. That is where I would prefer to start and it is also where I would like to stop. The problem is the end always follows the means. There is work to be done. There is nothing wrong with wanting God's blessing, but it does not come to me just because I want it and ask for it. God's blessings reward the life of a person who has set an example that is pleasing to God. It is lavished on those who will reflect the superiority of obedience to God over the pursuit of fleshly desires.

As I read the first Chapter of Daniel my eyes have become frozen on one phase; "Daniel made up his mind that he would not defile himself…:(verse 8). Daniel began with the end in mind just as I do. The difference is he aligned his end with God's commands. Ouch. I am more of a “decide on what I want and then make it sound holy” type of guy. Conviction really bites.

Prayer:
I am a little discouraged tonight. Letting go of my own plans and pursuing Yours is weighing on me. When I look at the circles You have placed me in I become acutely aware of my shortcomings. I get so much wrong it seems. I normally confess it, laugh at it with You and move forward determined to try again. But tonight is different. I am sick of certain patterns in my life but I simultaneously feel inadequate to do anything about it. I have spent some time reflecting over the past few days and I am a little short on vision for my life. When that happens the repetitive rhythm of life drives me to complacency. Complacency opens my heart to wondering. I ask You tonight for clarity. Teach me to do Your work. Help me learn to follow Your commands. Enable me to move past the ridiculously hard to kill patterns of sin in my life.

No comments: