Monday, September 22, 2008

Resetting My Sights

Scripture:
"Now when Daniel knew that the document was signed, he entered his house (now in his roof chamber he had windows open towards Jerusalem); and continued kneeling on his knees three times a day, praying and giving thanks to his God, as he had been doing previously." Daniel 6:10

Observation:
This country was founded by people rebelling against laws passed by others that were determined to be unjust. Our founding fathers fought against the tyranny of an unjust king and met him on the battle field to earn our freedom. This is a good and noble trait. It has been passed down from the generations and it is still alive today. But somewhere down the line, it lost its focus.

We are still a rebellious nation, but we have created new adversaries. We fight against anyone who wrongs us, causes us inconvenience, disagrees with our opinion, or tries to limit our behavior. It matters not who, what, when or where we live in a world of activism.

Long gone are the days when someone is willing to overlook an offense. My wife sat this past week and observed a lady humiliate a waitress in a local restaurant over a $6 sandwich and a $2 glass of tea. The dignity of a human being traded for $8?

Anywhere I go I feel pressure to protect what is mine, defend myself at all costs, and go after what I want. "I have the right to have things the way I want them regardless of the circumstances" is the message that constantly attaches itself to me as I go through my day.

Then I read this story about Daniel. He is the third highest ranking person in the land and plans are underway to make him second only to the king. He had to know that the document banning prayer was being drafted, yet there are some things that I do not see him doing. He filed no petition. He pled to no crowds. He made not the first scene. When the law was passed and the stage was set, Daniel simply went to his upper room, pulled back the curtains, bent his knees and prayed to God just as he had always done.

Application:
There are so many lessons to be learned from the life of Daniel that I could apply to my life, but I feel this morning that God is speaking to me about one; purity. Daniel lived a pure life. Only Christ lived a perfect, sinless life so I know that Daniel was not perfect; but he set his sights on obedience to God.

My sights must be set on obedience. I feel that many times I set my sights on sin and pray that God helps me miss. What would life be like if I honestly targeted righteousness and prayed for God to help my aim be true?

Prayer:
As I prepare for my day I already know the things that I will struggle with. They are in my sights. I do not want to hit them. I do not want to fall victim to them, yet something inside of me still longs for them.

I pray today that you give me new targets. Help me to find the same pure walk with you that Daniel had. I want prayer life with you that is so real I would rather be thrown into a den of lions than to simply stop praying.

Help that desire to connect with You to grow into the focus of my life. I pray that it overtakes my every thought and action. I ask that my relationship with You truly becomes the centerpiece of my life.

When I am tempted today to react in anger, give me a clarity and calmness. When I am tempted with pleasures that are not pure, give openness to my soul to the delight of Your word. When I am tempted to hate a person, remind me of the grace lavished on my by You. When I think I have bitten off more that I can chew, allow me to sense the overcoming power of Christ living inside of me.

I can't walk before You in perfection; only Christ did that. I can, however, walk before You in purity. There are many examples of this to follow. Teach me their ways.

No comments: