Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Fruit to Bear

Scripture:
"And he answered and said to him, 'Let it alone sir, for this year too, until I did around it and put in fertilizer; and if it bears fruit next year, fine; but if not, cut it down.'" Luke 13:8-9

Observation:
In this parable a man comes to his vineyard and approaches a fig tree. Once he gets to the tree he finds it to be bearing no fruit. He then enters a conversation with the vineyard keeper about the fact that this is the third year for the tree to bear no fruit and he want is cut down. He accuses it of being a useless waste of soil and wants it gone. The verse above is the response of the vineyard keeper.

This verse reminds me of the fact that my life has a purpose. God, just like the owner of the vineyard in this parable, planted me in His vineyard and expects that I produce fruit. He is patient, but eventually He will grow tired of not seeing me produce.

Application:
This morning my mind is stirring around God's expectations for me. This chapter of Luke contains several warnings about the fact that while I am afforded many freedoms and allowed by God to run loose; He will one day return to me and expect a good result. It is critical that I understand not only that there are expectations on my life, but that I define what those expectations look like.

Traditional teaching from my past always focuses on my behavior. It hammers on superficial things that I should and should not do. But there is part of me that always feels like there is more to following Christ than the legalistic splitting of hairs that I often see taking place in different denominations that make up our churches.

Prayer:
My prayer to You this morning is that You would open my heart and mind to being discipled. Put people in my life that, just like the vineyard keeper in this passage from Luke, will be willing to dig in my life and impart knowledge to strengthen my roots and help me grow.

I pray that I may produce a good harvest for You. I pray for the fruits listed in Zechariah 7:9 for my life. Teach me how to be a man of true justice, compassion and kindness. Let those things become the essence of my character and the fragrance that follows me into a room.

I pray that you give me a heart for the widowed, the orphaned, the poor and the stranger. I never want to be accused of oppressing those who are lacking as this is a group of people close to Your heart.

I also pray that You protect my heart from evil plans. The goal of my flesh is self-preservation. Anger, bitterness, greed, and boredom often offer an enticing pathway for me to follow. That pathway is one that I have followed many times and I hate the man I become when I follow it.

Thank you for my life. I am so grateful for each day I have to live and the opportunity to serve You with each breath I draw. Your grace is amazing. I live each day free from guilt and secure in Your love for me, in spite of my often dumb choices. I offer to You today all that You have provided and submit to Your leading in my life.

No comments: