Monday, October 13, 2008

The Promise of More

Scripture:
"For the promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off, as many as the Lord our God will call to Himself." Acts 2:39

Observation:
There is so much more to God than I am currently experiencing. I do not understand why I settle to stay where I am. The early church experienced a manifestation of God's power that was real and tangible. So compelling was this experience that they left the huddled safety of their hidden room and ran out into the streets to proclaim the connection they found with God.

Application:
I want more. It is senseless to waste the limited amount of time allotted for my life by not demanding more out of my relationship with God. As the book of Acts recounts the story of the early church I am challenged by what I read. They moved not out of empty hope, but were compelled forward by the tangible power of God unleashed in their lives.

Prayer:
I settle for far too little. As I look within my heart today I realize I make some really poor choices. I choose my anger over Your forgiveness. I choose my lifestyle over Your ways. I choose my frustrations over Your blessings. Worst of all, I choose to stay where I am instead of pursuing all that you have promised me.

Taking another step of faith is scary. Going hard after Your promise demands more of me than I can offer. I need Your help. I ask today that You rise up within me and make Your presence known to me in a tangible way. I want to take this day and milk it for everything that it is worth.

When my anger wells up inside of me, I pray that Your grace pour down. When I am tempted to return to my broken lifestyle of the past, I pray that you allow me to experience the power of Your blessings. When I am tempted to fall back to the safety of staying where I am, I pray that you infuse into my soul an uncontrollable compulsion to leave everything behind and follow after You.

When I lay down my head tonight to sleep, I ask that I be able to do so knowing that my life mattered today and that You found pleasure in all that I did.

No comments: