Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Whale and the Cat

Scripture:
"But about midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns of praise to God and the prisoners were listening to them." Acts 16:25

Observation:
Got to love Paul and Silas. It is safe to say that they had a rough trip. They left on a journey not sure of their direction. They decided on a direction twice and both times God restrained them from entering the places they decided to go. When they finally received instruction from God and followed in obedience; a demon possessed girl followed Paul around and tormented him. She pressed his buttons until, in anger, he turned and cast out the demon. This little display of temper from Paul landed him and Silas in prison. They were stripped, beaten, put in stocks, and locked in a cell.

Not the best of trips. Things were not as they "should" be. Paul and Silas had many options of response. They certainly could have complained; who would find blame in that. They definitely could have abandoned their ministry; there is plenty of evidence that God is not blessing their work. They could have rebuked Satan and proclaimed their freedom; no one would question the fact that he is their enemy.

But they did none of these things. Nor did they do any of the other many things that they could have done. Instead, they simply chose to sing.

Application:
Me singing sounds something like a cross between a humpback whale and a cat whose tail gets caught in a rocking chair. It is a rough experience for anyone who hears it. As bad a sound as it is, I love to sing. There is just something about it. I also like to watch other people sing, especially a song that means something to them. It’s moving. I can easily become captivated by the stirring I sense in my soul over certain songs.

That is why I love this verse. Just sing. There is so much crap in the world to worry about. I deal with junk from 4:45 in the morning until I go to bed about around 10:30 at night. The constant barrage of attacks, heart breaks, frustrations, and disappointments can really wreak havoc on my inner peace. This verse reminds me of how important it is to just sing. Plug in the iPod, put on something I enjoy, and cut loose. Whether it is singing and dancing with my kids to Coolio, chilling out with Dave Matthews, or learning more about God through this of Christian musicians on my iPod; music creates a connection between my soul and God unlike any other.

Prayer:
I must confess to You this morning the sourness that rises up in my soul when I get frustrated in my circumstances. In the heat of those moments I often grumble. In my grumbling I begin to justify my feelings. My justified feelings open the door for me to excuse behaviors. My excused behaviors lead me to doing things I regret.

This is a stupid cycle and I hate it. Help me today to choose to sing, not just a song that make me feel better, but a song that will reflect the beauty of the inner work You are busy completing inside of me. I have no idea why You decided to make me sound like a whale on the low notes and a cat on the high ones, but I am grateful for music all the same.

I ask today that everything I do today be a beautiful song before You. Help me hear the rhythm and get into the groove of what You have planned for me today. I ask that others observing my life see through me a reflection of the great freedom I sense when I follow after You.

No comments: