Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A Turning Point

Scripture:
"While they were ministering to the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, "Set apart for Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them." Acts 13:2

Observation:
This scripture represents a turning point in the book of Acts. Prior to this verse the book has focused on Peter and the work of God among the Jews in Jerusalem. From this point forward the focus shifts and begins to revolve around God using Paul to take the message of the gospel to non-Jewish nations.

More than just a shift in the book of Acts, this verse represents a turning point in the history of the world. This verse is a signpost for all Christians of non-Jewish decent. It is the day God began to redeem the lost nations from Satan's hand.

Application:
What a huge responsibility. This is more than just a small duty; it is God's plan to redeem the world being launched. So what were Paul and Barnabas doing that positioned them to receive such a great responsibility? There are three things leading up to God sending them that stick out to me this morning that I need to be reminded of.

First, I need to remember that I am a child of grace. There are a lot of things in my past of which I am ashamed. There are memories that I just simply wish did not exist. If I dwell on them for long it is really easy to disqualify myself from the ministry God has given to me. But that is a lie. God's grace is sufficient. The only thing that matters is I have admitted my failure, confessed my belief in salvation through Christ alone, and submitted to Jesus as my Lord. At the point that happened everything in my life, past, present and future, was nailed to the cross. I carry its blame no more. It has been removed. A clean slate now stands were my long rap-sheet once was on display.

Second, I need to stay active in ministry. Paul's call to a bigger work came while he was being faithful in a smaller one. At times, I am tempted to sit around and wait on God to send me something big to do, but that is not the example of the scripture. I need to be pursuing God's work daily in the small details of my life. Every second of my life represents an opportunity to connect to God's work. It maybe as small as an intentional smile to someone who looks like they need one, a kind word to raging idiot, praying for someone God puts on my heart, or many other seemingly insignificant opportunities that come my way. The important thing is not what I am doing; the only thing that matters is being actively engaged in doing something with God.

Finally, I need to be aware of the bigger picture. It is easy to get wrapped up in the task at hand and lose sight of the fact that there is more to come. I love the way this verse describes the work of Paul and Barnabas. It says, "while they were ministering to the Lord AND fasting." Thought they were busy doing the right thing, they sensed God had something else coming their way. They fasted and sought after this new thing while maintaining their faithfulness to the work at hand. The moment I get an itch to do something new, I have a habit of stopping what I am doing and looking for a new thing. Instead, I need to learn to seek God and stay faithful to the work given until He calls me out of it.

Prayer:
Father there are times in my life that I still feel dirty. Shame over things that I wrestle with can get the best of me and make me feel disqualified. I thank you for the men you used in the Bible. Men like Paul who was a murderous persecutor of the church. Men whose sin is undeniable, yet by Your grace their were utilized in transforming the world. It is a great reminder to me that I broken, but not out of service. There is nothing against me. No past to fear. I need only look ahead at the new things you have in store for me.

Teach me to stay busy. It is often tempting to wait on You to "prepare" me for something. Instead I pray the You give me the courage and strength to just take a step of faith and get busy.

I also ask in the midst of my business You help me to stay focused on you in pray and fasting. I desire to live my life on the edge of my faith and square in the middle of all that you have for me.

No comments: