Friday, October 10, 2008

Overcoming Discouragement

Scripture:
"Now it came about that when Sanballat heard that we were rebuilding the wall, he became furious and very angry and mocked the Jews." Nehemiah 4:1

Observation:
The people of Israel had definitely made a mess of things. They had acknowledged their condition, confessed before the Lord and were rebuilding the damage caused by their rebellion.

As the neighboring kingdoms became aware of what was taking place, they rose up in anger and mockery. The people lost heart. Fear gripped them. They were ready to give up, and Nehemiah and the people of Israel now faced the greatest of all enemies; discouragement.

Application:
The saying goes, "sticks and stones may break my bones but words may never hurt me." What a load that is. Wounds caused by sticks and stones are much easier to deal with than are the wounds caused by words.

It is amazing how the words of another can tear me down so fast. In a split second I can go from feeling like life could not get any better to total despair based on well placed blow of words from another person. It is irrational to allow this to happen, but it is my reality all the same.

As I relive this leadership moment Nehemiah faced, there are a few things that I feel are applicable to me. First thing is they prayed. Not just a "now I lay me" type of prayer; they cried out to God. Twice discouraging words reached them and twice it is noted that they cried out to God.

Second, they kept on moving ahead. "For the people had a mind to work" are the words used in verse 6. They set their hearts on God in prayer, but they set their minds on working it out. No matter how I feel, I must keep my mind focused on the work at hand.

Finally, they worked with one hand and held a spear with the other. They kept a balance between staying on task and preparing for attack. This is the struggle of fighting through discouragement. There are seasons of life that just require me to take a sword in one hand and a hammer in the other and work it out.

Prayer:
Father I ask this morning that You seal my heart with the mission You have for my life. I ask that the very fabric of my soul be cut of Your divine purpose. Regardless of what happens in my life I ask that You give me the strength I need to both defend the work that has been accomplished and to continue to move ahead with the things yet to be done. As people and circumstances rise up against me and wage war on my emotions, I pray remind me to turn to You in prayer, set my mind on the task at hand, and keep on pressing forward.

No comments: