Saturday, October 11, 2008

Two Thoughts on Thoughts.

Scripture:
"In mortal man…His spirit departs, he returns to the earth; in that very day his thoughts perish." Psalm 146:4

Observation:
Life on this earth is so fleeting. In this verse I am reminded that when a man dies, all that is in his mind dies with him. It no longer exists.

Application:
There are two applications in this for me today. First, why in the world would I ever care what people think of me? As I look back over my life I am amazed at just how much of me has been controlled by my incessant desires to be approved by others. I have compromised my integrity, lost my self-worth, and ripped into other people all in the name of being someone who would be approved by those around me. What a waste.

Second, everything left undone in my life is over when I breathe my last breath. Good intentions. Broken fences. Chances untaken. Dreams yet realized. The list of things that die when I die goes on and on. My life is sealed and I do not fear death. It is the unfinished business in my life that scares me.

Prayer:
The life You have given to me is so precious. I do very much regret the time I have wasted by acting on the thoughts of others and suppressing the thoughts I have myself. Today my soul is full as I realize the extent to which I am truly living my life. I want more. I do not want to waste one second of the life You have given me. I desire today to make the most of every opportunity. Help me take captive every single thought that I have and make it submit to Your desire for me to make my time matter. The life I experience when I am connected with You is greater than any other lifestyle I could choose. I pray that when this day comes to an end and I lay my head to rest that I may hear the words "well done" spoken to my soul.

No comments: