Friday, June 26, 2009

Becoming Strong

Today's Reading: 2 Timothy 2


Scripture:

"You therefore my son be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus." 2 Timothy 2:1


Observation:

Paul does not give Timothy an command to just suck it up and be a man. His words are much deeper than that. In the verses that follow I see a three things that he teaches Timothy to do in order to be strong. Much like the body needs a workout to be strengthened, faith requires a routine to reach its maximum strength.


Application:

The first step in this process I see is that I need a mentor. Not just any mentor, but someone who will mentor me in love, spirit and truth. Paul warns that it is not hard to find people willing to be mentors, but many of them offer empty words that will actually carry me away from God. I have to seek advice that aligns with the WHOLE counsel of the Word, challenges my understanding, and forces my behavior to change.


Second, I have to mentor others. God designed me to be a river, not a reservoir. If I soak up everything that is poured into me and never share it, then I am living in opposition of the plan God has for me. I learn best when I share with others what God has done in my life and help them find truth for their lives. There are many days that I feel like I need to get better before I share with others, but that is not the truth. God wants me to be a good steward with the lessons I have already learned.


Finally, I have to work hard. This is an inescapable truth in becoming a disciple. It will always be hard work. There are days that I want to stop fighting. There are days when the battles seem to never stop coming. Hit after hit after hit pile on and I feel like just laying down and surrendering the battle to them; but even if I stop fighting satan will continue attacking. Eventually I will have to get back up and fight again. Laying down only makes getting back up harder.


Prayer:

Life gets overwhelming at times. Satan has learned enough about me to know my weaknesses. He hits these places in my life with a remarkable accuracy and a relentless consistency. The torment of the things that chase me intimidate me as they are much stronger than I. In all honesty, there are many days when hits from Satan feel like they are stronger than Your ability to deliver me.


I thank You for reminding me this morning that standing strong against Satan and overcoming my struggles requires much more than hard work. It requires much more than wishful thinking. It requires much more than seeking advice. Standing strong is a process that requires me to be diligent in coming under the teaching of one stronger in their faith, to be a good steward with the things You have already taught me, and to have a undying commitment to stay engaged in the process.

No comments: