Monday, June 8, 2009

Reflecting Truth

Today's Reading: Ecclesiastes 7:8-9 & Ephesians 4


Scripture:

"Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called.


Observation:

In this chapter Paul really shoots straight through the heart of the lifestyle of believers; reminding them that their salvation was much more than a moment frozen in time. Their faith was a calling to walk out a life that reflects the truth of God's plan.


Application:

There are a few things that I am reminded of this morning. First, my old self does not just go away. In verses 22-24, I am instructed to lay aside the old me, allow the word to renew my mind, and put on my new self. This is an active process that requires my daily attention.


Second, I need to watch my mouth. In verse 29 I am instructed to not allow any unwholesome word come out of my mouth. In every moment of everyday I need to be sensitive to what is taking place around me and speak only that which builds up those who hear it.


Finally, I need remember I do not exist on an island. My choices matter not only to me, but to the whole body. Throughout this entire chapter Paul reminds me that there is only one body. The choices I make with my lifestyle affect that body. When I choose to not serve or when I choose to walk in disobedience I impact others.


Prayer:

There is a side of me that likes to pretend that I am ok. I look at my choices, compare them to others, and convince myself that I am not doing that bad. Then there is the side of me that knows the truth. I still struggle with laying aside my old self, my tongue continually gets me in trouble, and I neglect my responsibility to Your body. I confess this to You this morning as my sin and rest in Your promise of forgiveness.


The words that You have given me this morning lie beyond my abilities of achievement. I fully realize that I can't get there on my own. While I know that I have Your grace to cover my shortcomings I pray that You not allow me to hide behind that. Create inside of me a drive to pursue the empowering presence of the Holy Spirit that will allow me to walk in a manner worthy of You and that reflects Your truth the world around me.

No comments: