Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Good Fight

Today's Reading: 1 Chronicles 24:17-20 & 1 Timothy 6


Scripture:

"Fight the good fight of faith; take hold of the eternal life to which you were called…" 1 Timothy 6:12


Observation:

The Christian life is not some passive form of self meditation designed to lead a person to peace, prosperity and protection. It is a fight that requires concentration, discipline, and extreme effort. There is a spiritual battle taking place and each Christian is charged with assuming their role in this war.


Application:

This is teaching is not a license to attack anyone who opposes me. Paul instructs me to fight the "good" fight. There are many elements listed in this passage which describe the good fight. First I have to put aside self interest. Personal gain is a deadly pursuit. I have to be content with what God has given to me and receive with gratitude the things He chooses to add to me.


Second, I have to learn truth. The world is full of false teachings about what it means to pursue after God. I must bury myself in the word and submit myself to men of God who are able to speak the truth; not just offer arrogant opinions.


Third, I have to set my sights on the things worthy of pursuing. Righteousness. Godliness. Faith. Love. Perseverance. Gentleness. These are the things that Paul says should be on the top of my agenda.


Finally, I have to be moving forward. The Christian life is not about sitting idle and working on me. Paul says to do good, be rich in good works, give in abundance, and take hold of life. Everything that God puts into my life is purposed to produce a forward movement of His plans. I am charged to put His gifts to work.


Prayer:

Father I needed this today. I am a me first person living in a me first world. It is so flippin easy to get caught up in the rat race and forget that You have left me here on earth for Your purposes. I ask this morning that You forgive me for placing my desires to have a better life above Your desire for me to live a worthy life. Lead me today to fully understand and live out Your command to fight the good fight.

No comments: