Monday, June 22, 2009

Core Commands

Today's Reading: 1 Timothy 4


Scripture:

"Take pains with these things; be absorbed in them, so that your progress will be evident to all." 1 Timothy 4:15


Observation:

Being in relationship with God is more than just religious rituals and services. It is more than seeking blessings and happiness. It is a full-on, sold-out pursuit of something worth dying for.


Application:

There are three core commands I see in this verse. The first is to take pains with spiritual self-discipline and godliness. Paul compares this to people who work hard at getting into physical shape. It takes intentional, daily dedication to stay on course with spiritual disciplines. It is not ever going to be easy.


The second is to be absorbed in this pursuit. Sometimes it is easy for spiritual discipline to become a "have to" thing. When I have to do something I normally only put forth the minimum effort; just enough to get it done. That is not acceptable as a long-term strategy. I have to allow the truth of the word to move to prominence in my life. I have to allow the hope of the Word to push aside all other things in my life.


The third is to show the world signs of growth. In all his teachings to Timothy, Paul outlines five areas of growth: speech, conduct, love, faith, and purity. These are the five areas of my life that prove my relationship with God. If I am seeking after God and allowing myself to be absorbed in His mission for my life then I will bear fruit in these areas.


Prayer:

Speech, conduct, love, faith, and purity are things that are continually on my heart and mind. I place them first and I want to discipline myself to do good in these areas. As I have sat with You this morning I have been reminded that I am not putting first things first. You word says that I am to seek You first, then all these things will be given to me.


My prayer this morning is that you will come to life to me. I have spent way too much of my time seeking You as one would seek a mystery. I want to walk after You. I want to sit in Your presence and speak of You as one who has seen and heard. I pray that Your Spirit move me past a "have to" and allow the joy of godliness to fill my soul. I ask that You open my eyes to know what it means to be absorbed by seeking after You. Finally, I ask that my life show signs of growth. I pray that my speech, conduct, love, faith and purity be lived out in a manner that is attractive to a lost world.

No comments: