Friday, June 19, 2009

Blind Spots

Today's Reading: 1 Kings 2:3; & 1 Timothy 1


Scripture:

"wanting to be teachers of the Law, even though they do not understand either what they are saying or the matter about which they make confident assertions." 1 Timothy 1:7


Observation:

It is amazing how many of the same issues that plagued the early church, plague the church still today. One of the chief issues then was people who did not know what they were talking about were running their mouth as if they did. One of the chief issues today is the same thing. People try to make God fit into their lifestyle instead of allowing their life to be broken and reshaped by God. This gives rise to division, condemnation, and ungodliness within the church. In this first chapter, Paul gives some great instruction to a young pastor named Timothy whom Paul left with the task of restoring order in the church at Ephesus.


Application:

I have to guard myself against being a false teacher. There are three things I sense God saying to me this morning that will help. First, I have to understand the goals of Biblical discussions. In verse five there are three goals Paul lists for teaching; love from a pure heart, a good conscience, and a sincere faith. I must pursue God's truth in these three areas and make them the target of all my discussions.


Second, I have to know when to speak. In verse 6 Paul warns that some have turned over to fruitless discussions. I am becoming convinced that in excess of 80% of all religious debates are fruitless. People will argue over anything and it is so easy to get caught up in it. I need to be guarded against feeling pressed to join this mess and allow God to lead me in understanding when He wants me to speak.


Third, I have must never define the Word by my lifestyle. Ok, this one hits home hard. The manner in which God revealed His Word to the world left us a great deal of latitude in interpretation. We have been afforded freedom beyond what is imaginable. If I study the Bible looking to justify something I will be successful 99% of the time. This is a trap of satan I must avoid.


Prayer:

Father I do not know how to pray this morning. I am looking at the words on this screen but I feel like the stirring in my heart is much deeper than the words I wrote. I release my will and emotions to You this morning. Your word says that in moments when I do not know how to pray, the Holy Spirit intercedes on my behalf. I need that this morning.


The thing I am sensing is that my lifestyle is forming my beliefs about You. While my conviction is that I twist the scriptures to fit what I want to be and what I want to do; I am not seeing a picture of specific instances of this. I am blind to my sin, but I confess it to You today. Open my eyes to see these blind spots in my life.

No comments: