Friday, July 10, 2009

Cravings

Today's Reading: Micah 5:4-5 & Hebrews 7


Scripture:

"Therefore He is able also to save forever those who draw near to God through Him since He always lives to make intercession for them." Hebrews 7:25


Observation:

The work of Jesus on the cross was complete enough to cover all sin. For those who have surrendered their life to Christ as savior and Lord; all their sins have been forgiven. Sins of the past - forgotten. Sins of the present - removed. Sins of the future - covered. Jesus continually sits at the right hand of God making intercession on behalf of those who are of Him.


Satan knows the work of the cross and he tempts beleivers in one of two ways regarding it. It tempts them doubt it by accusing them of still being dirty or he tempts them to take advantage of it by assuring them that they have nothing to worry about.


Application:

I am suseptable to both temptations. During certain seasons of life I can easily become condemed by my sin and avoid the presence of God. During other seasons of life I can use the liberty of grace to take part in things that break the heart of God. Both of these mistakes lead me to be outside of the presence of God. In the first case I doubt God's provision. In the second I abuse it. Either way I slip into rebellion.


These temptations are why Hebrews 6 presses on the importance of moving past the elementary teachings of forgiveness of sin. Satan's goal is to never let me move past this and he will try to hold me here as long as he can. The call of God is to understand that my identity in Christ is complete, to know that my salvation is sealed, and to accept my call to move fast into service.


Prayer:

Father there is more to being a follower of Christ than sin and repent. The call on my life is to understand my standing in Christ and then to go out and be active in serving my role in Your redemption of this lost world. The faster I run towards my mission the less I have to worry about sin in my life.


I pray today that You open my eyes to see clearly the plans You have before me and to not allow anything in my heart or mind to slow me down from pursuing You. I want more than anything to live this day at the edge of my faith. I want to run towards You with a reckless abandonment. I want to sit in Your presence as one who sits with a close friend. Nothing short of experiencing the work of an almighty God will satisfy the cravings of my heart today.

No comments: