Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Three Simple Things

Today's Reading: Psalm 103; Isaiah 58; & 2 Peter 3


Scripture:

"Therefore, beloved, since you look for these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, spotless and blameless, and regard the patience of the Lord as salvation." 2 Peter 3:14.


Observation:

Life can become quite complicated. This verse reminds me to center my heart on looking for the things of the scripture to come to pass and to live with the reality that they all will be fulfilled. I will either see Jesus return or I will die and return to Him in my death. Either way I will see Him. When that day comes this verse takes the complication of living the Christian life and nets it down to three simple things I need to be doing.


Application:

First, I need to be resting in peace. I allow too much to steal my peace. I never rest. I am always wondering. Always searching. Always striving. In this process of being diligent to know and understand the things of God I must pay close attention to the peace in my soul. Nothing should shake me from knowing the goodness of God, the absolute nature of His word, and the un-deniability of His existence.


Second, I need to be living the truth. I believe but that is not enough. Even the demons believe. I have to live the truth in my daily existence. My character, behavior, and language all have to reflect the nature of Jesus Christ. When my day comes God's desire is to find me not perfect, but to be in perfect pursuit of obedience.


Third, I need to be sharing truth. There is no way any believer can get the truth of God and not share it. Everyone will stand before God one day and I have to have a consuming desire to see as many as possible come to know the peace and truth of salvation in Jesus Christ. The radiance of Jesus' character must be shared with others both by my actions and by my words. God's desire is that not one person perish. I have to establish that same desire.


Prayer:

To rest in truth, to walk in truth, and to share the truth are all gifts from You. I pray today that You open the storehouse of heaven and pour down on me the power, wisdom, knowledge and passion I need to do these three things.


Protect my peace by assuring my soul of Your truth and renewing my mind with Your Word. Empower me to overcome the things that hinder my obedience and allow me to walk in alignment with Your Word. Remind me that Your Spirit will constantly be at work around me and open my eyes to see opportunities to share Your heart with others.

No comments: