Saturday, July 11, 2009

Letting Go of the Old

Today's Reading: Isaiah 9:6-7 & Hebrews 8


Scripture:

"But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear..." Hebrews 8:13


Observation:

In this passage, the writer of Hebrews is helping the Jewish people transition from the law of the old covenant to the new covenant established in Jesus. Everything that they held to be true and normal had to be unlearned and things that were unfamiliar and uncomfortable were having to be learned.


Application:

While my tenants of my faith will never be changed, my understanding of them must continually be adjusted. That is what it means to grow. As I look back over my life I notice that much of what I thought I knew about God has changed. In each step of this process called growing, I had to unlearn something I was certain to be true and grab hold of something that was uncertain to me.


This process will never stop. My understanding of what it means to follow after God is only a shadow of what all there is to know about God. I have to constantly evaluate my interpretation of God's Word and allow Him to teach me new things.


Prayer:

My greatest fear in life is being held back by something I thought I knew. I am hard-headed and more than a little stubborn. I will grab hold of an ideal, thought, or belief and it takes an amazing amount of strength to break my grip.


I pray that You protect me as I continue to allow You to create change in my life. Surround me with men of truth who will speak into my life a better understanding of what it means to walk in obedience. Establish in my heart the unchanging truth of the gospel of Christ so that I may never waver its completeness. Protect my walk with You from being damaged by my pig-headed stubbornness. Help me to sense and see Your tangible presence guiding me daily.


The man I am today is not the man I want to be tomorrow. All that I have is at Your feet. Teach me to recognize the changing of seasons in my life and empower to me to let go of the things that are old and worn out and to accept with joy the new things You send my way.

1 comment:

Ronnie Clark said...

Jason, I am encouraged by your words this morning. Change (growth) IS good and it is a basic desire & necessity for our lives, at least it should be. I am disappointed in myself the most when I become complacent and I have been lately, so, reading your entry today has done me a bit of good!