Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A Strong Faith

Today's Reading: Hebrews 11


Scripture:

"Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." Hebrews 11:1


Observation:

In generic terms this verse can be translated to mean: 1) A person or thing in which expectations are centered. 2) A positive declaration designed to give confidence. 3) A fixed or firm belief in things not seen.


Application:

As a Christian the person who is the object of my faith is God. The things in which my faith centers around are the promises of God's word. This means that I have to constantly stay aware of my thoughts about God and His words. The weaker my understanding of God and my knowledge of His word, the weaker my faith will be. It is impossible to have junky thoughts of God or misinterpretations of His word and find strength in my faith.


It is not enough to just have a head knowledge of God. Head knowledge does not lead to faith. I have to make confident declarations based on my faith. That can be tough because there are days that I am not that sure. I doubt myself and as I allow that to happen I often take a "wait and see" approach to faith. I'll choose to just sit tight and celebrate on the back-end if things go well. This is a poor use of faith. Faith is intended to produce confidence to get through something. This can't happen if I wait to have confidence once something is set.


The unseen. That is not a good word for me. I like to see it. I want it proven. I want it tested, weighed, and presented before me. That is a problem. There are things of God that I can never know. His methods vary. His ways are different. His purpose is beyond my comprehension. All that said, He did not leave me totally in the dark. His promises for me are absolute. His character is unquestionable. His nature never changes. There is not one single attribute of God that will ever fail. These are the truths to which I must cling when the unseen tries to chase away my faith.


Prayer:

Faith is more than just an action; it's a process. Faith is not just a flippant answer to be given when there is nothing else to say; it is a way of life to which I am called. Faith is not just a command to live a life of uncertainty; it is the call to a peaceful assurance.


Father I pray that You open wide my eyes, mind, and soul to Your word. I ask that You lead me to fill every part of my being with Your truth. Center my faith on You and Your word alone.


Father I pray that You assure me of the truth and teach me how to make positive declarations that result in me finding confidence on the front-end of difficult circumstances. So often I wait until a deed is done before I rest. That is an exhausting and disobedient way to live.


Finally Father I ask that You help my unbelief. The thing I can't see really put a hurting on my faith. They creep into my thoughts and cloud my vision. Walking with You often requires that I take blind steps. Help me learn to do this with joy and confidence. I pray that the excitement of following after You becomes the adventure of my life.

No comments: