Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Digging Out of Sin

Today's Reading: 2 Chronicles 31:20-21


Scripture:

"Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double minded." James 4:8


Observation:

A simple reminder of the steps required to dig my way out of habitual sin.


Application:

The first thing called for is submission. Everything in my life rises and falls upon lordship. There have been many times in my past where I run to God after I have either gotten in bad trouble or seen something that I really want. I run to God as a spoiled child runs to their father. God will have none of it. I have to put myself under His authority. That means I no longer allow my pleasures, wants and desires to call the shots. I am then able to see the devil submit to my desires for him to leave me alone and God is then able to move me to the second step.


The second thing I am called to do is draw near to God. This is my favorite part of God. He doesn't hold back His presence and wait for me to get straightened out. He knows that I can't do it on my own. He knows that I cannot do it with an empty heart. He asks that I pursue a relationship with Him and desire intimacy with Him. As I do, I will find Him. In this part of the process God makes sure that I realize His love for me is not based on my performance. My ability to experience His love is only tied to my submission.


The final thing I am called to do is get things right. There is no such thing as an idle Christian. I will always be prone to failure. As long as I am living on this side of heaven I will sin. But that is not a license to cruise. It is not an excuse to hang loose and just live life. To love God is to hate sin. If I am in submission to God and walking close to His heart in fellowship, I will continually pursue clean hands and a pure heart.


Prayer:

Father,

As best I can, from where I am; I lay my life under You in submission to Your Lordship over me. I confess to You that I know in my heart that is what I am called to do, but I also confess that I am clueless as to what that practically looks like. I pray for the knowledge and wisdom I need to fully walk in submission to You.


Over the past 12 months, I have felt like I have experienced Your drawing near to me in a manner unlike I have ever known it before. My heart is desperate to know You more. With every encounter I become more and more hungry to find deeper levels of intimacy with You. As Your presence becomes more tangible to me my desires and pleasures change. I ask that You strengthen me to continue to grow in jealousy for my time with You.


Clean hands and a pure heart are tough because they require war. Not just a battle, but a full-on war. Every moment of every day I live must be spent watching out for sin in my life. It sneaks upon me like a bandit. In the blink of an eye I fall victim to pride, anger, discontent, lust, or any other level of sin. There are parts of me that I just excuse or swallow the bait of believing they are normal. I ask that my hatred of my own sin grow into a consuming passion.

No comments: