Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Arrogance and Ignorance

Read: Revelation 20

"And if anyone's name was not written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire." Revelation 20:15


Examine:

There are a lot of things in the book of Revelation that are hard to understand, but one thing stands out in perfect clarity. There is nothing good for those who refuse to surrender the lordship of their life to Jesus.


Apply:

"Well, he will burn in hell." I sit with that phrase and I think of the number of times I have heard it and the number of times I have said it. It is a phrase that is used flippantly and without much thought. It is a phrase that is comprised of nothing but spiritual arrogance and at the same time spiritual ignorance. It is arrogant because it involves me judging my life as being better than another and in my own way it is me saying I am glad I am not like that person. It is ignorant because it reveals just how little I understand the reality of eternal damnation.


Pray:

Father, I am not fit to be anyone's judge. Of the sinners that walk the earth I count myself among the greatest. I have betrayed You in every manner possible and have always done so with full knowledge that I was choosing against You. Yet, You always pursued me, offered me the mercy I needed, and used Your grace to restore me. I am nothing compared to anyone. I am simply grateful that You continue to help me help my stupid self. The thought of the eternal damnation of another should not spur from in me a statement of spiritual arrogance. It should drop me to my knees in prayer and push me out in the streets to share the goodness of Your name and good news of the gospel.

No comments: