Saturday, December 25, 2010

The Trouble with Safe

Read: Psalm 135

"You name, O LORD, is everlasting, Your remembrance, O LORD, throughout all generations." Psalm 135:13


Examine:

The nation of Israel were a people of faith. They journeyed with God and experienced many amazing moments with Him. In doing so, they piled up a history rich of experiences with God.


Apply:

The trouble with playing things safe and living according to my own strength is that I really never get to experience first hand the miraculous movement of God. This forces me to live off of the faith stories of others and undercuts my ability to truly praise God for His greatness.


Pray:

Father, you know where I am and the things that I face. Right now my attention is all Yours. I have no place to go and there is quite literally nothing I can do on my own to resolve the things I am struggling against nor can I make happen the things to which You have called me. My life is setup to experience You move in a way that I have never seen or experienced first hand.


As this journey has pressed me into unknown areas of faith it has been difficult to maintain my composure. It is like I have moved up to new league and the game is being played faster than I can keep up with. I thought I had strong faith, solid discernment, and absolute trust. Over the past few weeks I have seen the holes in my faith, found my flesh entangled in my discernment, and realized the limits of my trust. I have seen first hand the ugliness of my pride, the devouring nature of my desire for self-preservation, and dark side of my drive and ambition.


The start of any new journey with You always begins with a death to self. I recognize that is what You have been doing in my life and I am really grateful to You for it. As I have died to myself I have found more of You and been able to more deeply appreciate the gifts of those around me. This morning's reading is an incredible reminder that I am going to experience You more deeply in the coming weeks.


You are the only God who is worthy of praise. You have a power that can move the heavens and a legacy that proves You will. Nothing can compare with You and nothing can stand between You and Your plans for me. I am thankful to You today because You are everlasting and Your name will continue to endure for generations to come. I pray that You lead me through this season of my life in a manner that honors Your great name and reveals Your matchless glory.

No comments: