Friday, December 31, 2010

Three Questions

Read: Psalm 149 & 150

"For the LORD takes pleasure in His people..." Psalm 149:4


Examine:

Psalm 149 and 150 are both Psalms of worship. They call us to lift up our worship to God based on the character of God and His relationship to us. This verse highlights a truth that often goes forgotten and under-appreciated. However it is treated, it is the basic ingredient needed for praise. If a person does not understand that God takes pleasure in him, then worship will be nothing more than a religious ritual or a mindless emotion.


Apply:

I am not sure what to think of this verse. This verse raises a few questions in my mind. First, is knowing God takes pleasure in me enough to cause me to worship? Second, what is the evidence I look for as proof that God takes pleasure in me? Finally, what changes need to take place in my heart to allow this truth to truly affect my worship?


Pray:

Is your pleasure in me enough? This question forces me to drop aside everything other than my relationship with You. For me to honestly answer this question with a yes, my relationship with You has to be real. I have to walk with You in a way that is tangible and intimate. I have to know the love You have for me and experience it in a way that it genuinely affects the inner-most parts of my heart. I am not there yet. That is my honest reply. Knowing that You take pleasure in me does not matter to me as much as it should. I pray that You help me connect with You in a way that is more real and more tangible than I have ever known before. I pray that knowing that You take pleasure in me would ignite a passion in my heart that forces praise from my lips.


What is the evidence I seek? Tangible, financial rewards and an easy life. That is the ugly truth. If You do not give me what I want, when I want it and in the way I want, then I feel like You don't love me. This truth about me makes me nothing more than a grown up and sophisticated brat. My praise for You moves in perfect synchronization with the circumstances of my life. Life is good, God is good. Life is bad, You are not doing Your job. I don't want to be that man anymore. I want the evidence of Your written word to fill my heart and separate my joy from my circumstances.


What changes need to take place? Father, only You know the truth of my heart. You are the only One who can search me, know me, and change me. I do not dare answer this question in anyway other than to ask that You search me, try me, and align me with Your will.

No comments: