Sunday, December 19, 2010

Why do You Wonder

Read: Revelation 17

"And the angel said to me, 'Why do you wonder? I will tell you the mystery...'" Revelation 17:7


Examine:

John was taken on a journey that was bigger than his mind could comprehend. He was seeing things that no man had seen and was processing things that no man had ever pondered. In the middle of it this angel looks and him and addresses the bewildered expression on John's face. The angel reminds John that his role in this process is not to figure things out. John's role was to just stay close, observe, listen, and tell.


Apply:

Staying close, observing, listening, and telling are the simple commands that are stirring in my heart this morning. Staying close means walking in the Spirit. Walking in the Spirit means saying no to the flesh and walking in the ways of God. I think I often want God close, but I want Him to leave my life as it is. I want everything I have but I want the added benefit of Divine peace and protection. There is not a single example of this in the scripture. Being close to God requires an abandonment of self and a journey away from what is normal.


Observing requires eyes that look past what is visible and see what is unseen. There is a spiritual world. The more I pursue God the more certain of this I become. I should never take anything at face value. My prayers should always drive me to seek a deeper revelation regarding what I observe in my world. I need to look at things through the eyes of Jesus and see what He sees.


Listening requires a deep relationship with the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the often forgotten aspect of the Trinity. He is a gift. He is a helper. He is the strength of Jesus and knows the heart of the Father. He is power for the fight, endurance for the journey, and knowledge for those who listen. I need to live more aware of this amazing gift.


Telling. What is it about that word that is so disturbing? Telling makes public the things that God is doing in my heart. It represents exposure, transparency and risk. I am strongly convinced that once I have moved in obedience to God, Satan's secondary tactic is to keep me on a island. He does not want me to talk about what God is doing in my life. He will make me doubt my sanity, question my theology, and abandon my self-confidence. He sends an irrational fear that overtakes me and threatens me to keep silent. I need to continue to push past the threats and make it my ambition to be vocal about God's work in my life.


Pray:

I have been wondering about a lot lately. My journey with You has carried me to a place that is highly unfamiliar and I have found myself wondering, wrestling, and resisting. I am grateful for Your simple reminder this morning to just stay close, observe, listen, and tell. I feel like I am staying close and as best I can I am telling what you are doing. In fact, my transparency has put me in a place of extreme vulnerability. Where I am struggling today is the observe and listen part of things.


Things do not always go the way I expect. In moments of confusion it becomes really hard to distinguish between my flesh, Your Spirit, and Satan's deceptions. This drives me to a place of wondering and wondering always shoots holes in my boat of faith. As the water rushes in, I lose heart and become afraid.


I return my focus today to just staying close. I am trying to force myself to see and hear and that does not work very well. I ask that You give me Your heart today. Help me to draw close, grab Your hand, and just enjoy the journey of walking with You.

No comments: