Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Seals that can't be Opened

Read: Revelation 5

"And one of the elders said to me, 'Stop weeping; behold, the Lion that is from the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has overcome so as to open the book and its seven seals.'" Revelation 5:5


Examine:

John was on a journey of receiving a vision from God when he ran into a road block. There was a book sealed with seven seals and no one was able to open the book or look into it. John wept and was broken because no one could be found who was worthy. Then one of the elders assuaged John's fears by calling him to consider the Lion of Judah.


Apply:

The emotions of this year have ebbed and flowed this much as the tides fluctuate in the seas. I have found myself standing on the tops of mountains worshipping God and feeling enormous spiritual highs. I have also found myself buried in the valley and experiencing the depths of spiritual lows.


This week has led me to a place where I feel much like I imagine John feeling in this passage. I have followed God to the end of the trail and there are questions I can't answer, timelines I can’t affect, concerns I can’t get past, and provisions I can't provide. It is as if I can see the book containing the next series of my life but there is no one able or worthy to break the seals and lead me to what is next. I, like John, need the Lion of Judah. He alone is worthy and able.


Pray:

Father, there are so many questions on my mind this morning. So much that I want to ask. So much that I want to understand. I close my eyes as my mind races and it is impossible to keep track of my thoughts and capture my focus. My god-complex has taken over and I have assumed the controls for my life. I have spent a great deal of time this week relaying my circumstances to You and advising You as to the best way for them to be handled. It is really crazy to do that. You know everything. You control everything.


In the midst of all that I need to know and understand I continually hear You speaking to me and shifting my focus from the tactical and practical aspects of my life and asking me to center my thoughts on You and Your heart. That is what I ask of You this morning. I want to grasp a deeper understanding of what is on Your heart. Reveal to me the depth of Your character, the unending nature of Your love, and the perpetual provision of Your grace and Mercy.


It has given me life this morning to be reminded that I serve the Lion of Judah. Jesus, You are worthy of my praise and trust. There are some sealed places in my life that need to be opened. I rest and trust in You today to do this as the Father's timing allows. Jesus, You have received all power, riches, wisdom, might, honor, glory and blessing. All that is Yours is freely given to me when the time is right and my heart is aligned with the mission of our Father. I trust and rest in You.

1 comment:

Lyndsey Hester said...

jay...this is what i wrote about yesterday. i needed it again this morning! thanks for being so faithful to share your journey with God. love you much!