Monday, December 27, 2010

Read: Psalm 139 & 140

"O LORD, You have searched me and know me..." Psalm 139:1


Examine:

David understood that there was nothing about him that God did not understand. His thoughts, paths, ways and words were completely known to God before David took any actions.


Apply:

I intuitively know that God knows everything about me. In practice, however, this truth is not revealed in my life. I live my life as if God needs to be informed of what is going on in my life. My prayers and thoughts of God easily become consumed with me telling God how I feel, where my needs are, and what He should do about it. I wonder how my life would change if I changed my focus? What if instead of trying to get God to better understand me, I sought to better understand myself and God.


Pray:

Learning to cast aside my personal ambitions and drive so that I can clearly see the condition of my heart and better understand the intentions of Yours is a knowledge that is too high; I can't obtain it. As I read David confessing his love, trust and admiration of You I sense a conviction in his life that is weak in my own. My love, trust, and admiration rests more in my ability to control my life than it does in laying aside all things and resting in You. I fear that You will not allow things to happen in a way that I will find pleasing or acceptable so I fret over my circumstances and refuse to release them to Your control. Fear presses me into hiding parts of my heart from You. I do not want to be corrected. I do not want to be wronged. I do not want to admit failure. So...I hide.


This is a stupid choice that brings with it foolish consequences. I want to stop that cycle today. My prayer today is that You will search me and make known to me the weak, dark, and hidden places in my heart. I want to see me through Your eyes and obtain knowledge about myself that is hidden in my own foolish pride. I want to be laid low so that You can mold me more into the image of the Son You desire me to be. I also pray that the eyes of my heart be enlightened so that I may fully understand the greatness of Your heart and the fullness of Your glory. Teach me to pray in a way that opens my life to these great and wonderful truths.

No comments: