Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Condition of My Heart

Read: Nehemiah 1
“Now these are Your servants and Your people, whom You have redeemed by Your great power and by Your strong hand.” Nehemiah 1:10

Examine:
The goal of leadership for a child of God should always be to have the power and hand of God leading the work. God will only give His hand and power to a leader whose heart is right. In this opening chapter Nehemiah displays the four quadrants of a leader’s heart that God honors: He was broken hearted for the condition of others, he put himself on the same level with those he desired to lead, he worshiped the greatness of God, and he pressed into a task that was humanly impossible.

Apply:
Since the results of my life will always be birthed from the content of my heart, there is nothing in life more vital than allowing God to reveal, correct, and strengthen the condition of my heart.

Pray:
“You are here because you prayed for the Lord to judge you severely, to correct you ruthlessly, so that you could serve Him more perfectly.” I read those words in a book yesterday and since that time they have haunted me. The moment I saw them I realized that there was nothing in me willing to pray them. I want to serve You more perfectly, but as I think about You judging me severely or correcting me ruthlessly I shudder. So, that is my starting point with you today.

I understand Your character and know that You will never do anything close to abusing me. Your correction is mild, loving, and kind as long as I am open to it so I am not afraid of what will happen to me. The reason I am resistant to praying for You to judge me severely or correct me ruthlessly is I am not ready to fully let go. There is something in me that still clings to living life on my own terms. That is the sin I see in me this morning and I confess it to You.

Before I can be an effective leader of others I have to first allow You to be an effective leader of my heart. As much as it frightens me to say it, I ask that You judge me severely, correct me ruthlessly, so that I may serve You more perfectly. Crucify the flesh in me that still clings to life. Break the yolk of legalism and kill the judge in me who casts condemnation on others. Let my heart be shattered for Your purposes, help me to feel the pain of others, set Your greatness as the single focus of my life, and lead me into impossible ventures that will echo through eternity. My life is Yours…

No comments: