Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Leaving the Naysayer

Read: Nehemiah 2
“I answered them, The God of heaven will prosper us; therefore we His servants will arise and build, but you have no portion or right or memorial in Jerusalem.” Nehemiah 2:20

Examine:
One of the great tools Satan uses to disrupt the work of God are naysayers. Naysayers always show up to argue, discourage, and shutdown people who are trying to do something great. Nehemiah robbed his naysayers of their power by pointing them back to God’s power, acknowledging his submission to God as a servant, and resisting the desire to argue back.

Apply:
The choices I make in this life have only three outcomes. They will have a positive impact on eternity, no impact on eternity, or a negative impact on eternity. The scriptures remind me of this when they speak of the power of my words. Words either bring life or steal it. It is an easy thing to be negative. In any great task there are very few things than can go right, but there is immeasurable opportunity for failure. I need to make sure that I do not walk the path of a naysayer. When I hear of the work of others my words to them should make an investment in their endeavor and encourage them to persevere until the end.
.
Pray:
Over the past few years You placed me in positions that allowed me to take part in many ministry opportunities. It saddens me to think of how many times I collapsed to the pressure placed on me and shot holes in the work of others. In doing this I missed the chance to invest in these people and their work. I served as a hindrance and a stumbling block and for that I find repentance in my heart. There is no going back and changing the past but there is a great chance to choices in the future that will positively echo throughout eternity.

Help me to be an encouragement to others as they take on great tasks from You. Give me the wisdom and insight I need to help a person see what is right about their work and help me discern how to best help them move forward with Your provision and under Your authority. Help me leave the naysayer in me behind.

No comments: