Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Voice of Conviction

Read: Ezra 7 “Blessed be the Lord, the God of our fathers [said Ezra], Who put such a thing as this into the king’s heart, to beautify the house of the Lord in Jerusalem, and who has extended His mercy and steadfast love to me before the king, his counselors, and all the king’s mighty officers. I was strengthened and encouraged, for the hand of the Lord my God was upon me, and I gathered together outstanding men of Israel to go with me to Jerusalem.” Ezra 7:27-28 Examine: Ezra praised the Lord for what was being done under him. By calling Yahweh, the God of our fathers, he noted that God had put all of this into the king’s heart. Ezra also noted that the privileges granted by Artaxerxes were for God’s glory, not Ezra’s. Apply: If Ezra were sitting across the table from me today I think he would offer me three pieces of advice: Be holy, be faithful, and be a worshiper. Everything needed in my life is found by standing holy before my God, being faithful in the tasks given to me, and offering continual worship to my Father in heaven. Pray: I hear the voice of conviction in my heart this morning. My holiness rests on the grace of Jesus and I know that nothing can make me unclean. That said, the grace of Christ is not an allowance to sin freely. I have opened the door for sin in my life and I have become carnal in some areas. There are desires I am nursing that I should not be holding close to me. I confess these to You this morning, accept Your forgiveness for them, and step forward today in anticipation of You filling the void in my heart left by them with a greater measure of love for You. I also recognize that I have allowed my fatigue to open the door for a little laziness to slip in and that is dangerous. Your word teaches that just a little folding of the hands opens the door for poverty to seize me. I need to dial back in on the task at hand and finish strong. I pray for the time, energy, and resources I need to be faithful with what You desire of me today. Lastly, as I examine my heart with this word from Ezra I see my lack of worship. Worship is a sign of absolute faith, complete submission, and total gratitude. It flows freely from a heart that is surrendered fully to You. My worship is hindered because I lack faith, resist submission, and practice ingratitude. Holy Spirit, thank You. I have felt something uneasy in my spirit for the past couple of days and it is so amazing to get this all out in the open. I need You so desperately. Guide me. More than anything I desire for my heart to be transformed and my mind to be renewed by the truth You have spoken today. I appreciate Your discipline and joyfully accept Your correction. Today is a new day. Strengthen me to hold fast to You.

No comments: