Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Home by 5:00

Read: Nehemiah 4
“And they all plotted together to come and fight against Jerusalem, to injure and cause confusion and failure in it.” Nehemiah 4:8

Examine:
In the opening verse of Nehemiah we see a group of people rising up to mock his work. Nehemiah aggressively prays against these people. Following his prayer things went from bad to worse. Now his enemies switch from simple mockery to plans of attack. For Nehemiah this would be the start of his greatest leadership challenge. What does one do when the task is tall and prayers for relief are answered by increased challenge?

Apply:
Anytime God calls me to a task I can expect two things: He is going to use it to refine me and the enemy will try to use it to destroy me. I have to be honest with myself. There is a large part of me that wants the victory without the dark nights of battle. I want to pray down the heavens, see my obstacles instantaneously dissolved and be home by 5:00.

Pray:
In the midst of this season of great faith I am often sidetracked most by my own emotions. As things heat up and the journey becomes challenging I am often tempted to quit. I don’t want to be refined and I despise attacks. I look at men like Nehemiah and I am challenged by their faith as I see the holes that exist in mine. I am stirred today as I see Nehemiah’s resolve and trust in You put on display. There are no shortcuts in this journey. I pray that I not allow my desire to be done to consume my need to patiently endure to the end. You have promised You will complete what You have started as long as I do not grow weary in doing what is right. That is my single source of hope today and I cling to it with one had, pick up my tools with the other, and continue my work on the task you have given to me. Help me to be holy today, fill my heart with worship, and empower me to be faithful.

No comments: