Friday, September 16, 2011

My Duty

Read: Ezra 10
“Arise, for it is your duty, and we are with you. Be strong and brave and do it.” Ezra 10:4

Examine:
As one reflects on the books of Ezra its message becomes clear. In order for people to be back in fellowship with the Lord, it was absolutely necessary for them to have proper temple worship (Ezra 1-6) and to live according to God’s Word (chaps. 7-10).

Apply:
The first application of this for my life today centers around the New Testament teaching of the temple and the new covenant instituted by God through Christ. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 says, “19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.” Temple worship is no longer about a building, sacrifices or rituals. As a follower of Christ, my temple worship is the living sacrifice of my time and talents. Christ is in me and the Holy Spirit is continually upon me. Wherever I am I carry with me the hope of the nations, the promise of eternity, and the power to overcome darkness.

The second application has to do with the choices I make with my lifestyle. “Does merely talking about faith indicate that a person really has it? Isn’t it obvious that God-talk without God-acts is outrageous nonsense?” These words from James chapter two ring loud to me today. This chapter also says that even the demons believe in Jesus and God. The context of this teaching from James is allowing my belief in Christ to cause me to live purely according to the entire teaching of Christ and to allow my faith in Christ to touch the lives of the poor and destitute.

Pray:
I can hear the call inside of my heart today from You, “Arise, for it is your duty, and I am with you. Be strong and be brave.” I accept the duty handed to me by You and in faith I believe that You are in me to complete it. I also acknowledge that while You are with me, this duty handed to me will demand that I be strong and courageous. Nothing of worth comes easy.

I pray that Christ in me would shine brightly today. I ask that His aroma would linger as a strong fragrance and that His strength in me would be boldly on display. I also pray that the desire to live a life of faith, prayer and works would consume me like a great addiction and fuel me unlike any other passion in life. Let Your great zeal lead me, Your great love guide me, and Your great strength empower me.

No comments: