Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Death of My Jesus

Read: Zechariah 13
“Awake, O sword, against My Shepherd, and against the man, My Associate,”
declares the Lord of hosts. “Strike the Shepherd that the sheep may be scattered;
And I will turn My hand against the little ones.” Zechariah 13:7

Examine:
If a person wants to call on the name of God and hear him answer, that person will have to walk in opposition of popular teaching and endure personal refinement.

Apply:
I create my own version of Jesus that fits in my mental box and makes sense to me. When God decides to take me deeper, the first step is always the death of what I thought it meant to be like Christ. This is painful because I am often guilty of deifying false beliefs that have been taught to me. Many times this will require me to walk away from tradition and popular teaching.

After God has killed my false Jesus, He begins the process of removing what is caustic in me. This season of purification by fire is intense and does in fact feel cruel, but God lovingly does this to make me more like Jesus. He knows my limits and will only subject me to what I can handle. I have to keep my focus on Him and allow Him to transform me into something stronger.

Pray:
Father, as I look back on this past season of my life I can see this process so clearly. Outside of absolute unwavering truth about You, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit almost nothing of what I once believed about Christianity stands today. I took human teaching and made false idols that supported my way of living. It has been painful, but by Your grace I have endured to this point and now see following after Christ through an entirely new lens. I also look back at who I was 20 months ago when we started this journey and I hardly recognize the mental pictures I have of that man. Throughout many painful days and sleepless nights, You broke me down to a place that allowed You to start building me back up in Christ.

I am so thankful for what You have done. I am also scared to death. In a few days I will have to stand firm and fight to not be sucked back into my old normal. In a few short days I will also have to learn to trust You in ways that will be unfamiliar to me. I am relying on You to be faithful because You promise to complete what You started. I do not know where this journey ends but I want You to know I am so grateful for the road that led me to where I am. You are faithful, You are gracious, You are loving, You are strong and the price of my life feels like a pitiful offering for all of You I have experienced. I love You and remain faithfully committed to finishing this race and keeping my eyes set on the ultimate prize.

No comments: