Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Modeling for my Kids

Read: Ezra 8
“THESE ARE the heads of their fathers’ houses and this is the genealogy of those who went up with me from Babylonia in the reign of King Artaxerxes…” Ezra 8:1

Examine:
One of the most critical things for a man of God is to lead his family. The men listed in this chapter did just that. They got up and risked everything to lead their families in pursuing God’s plan.

Apply:
Nothing in my life is more important that the God-journey I lead for my family. As my kids get older they will make their judgment regarding the reality God largely on what they saw of Him in my life. I cannot control the choices they will make in this process, but I can affect the amount of evidence they will have to step over if they choose to walk away from God.

Pray:
I want my kids to see in me a flawed man in passionate pursuit of a loving God. I want them to see a man who could sin and yet still be used by God. I want them to see a man who desired more than anything to be holy, yet never based his holiness on performance nor allowed imperfections to slow him down. My goal in life is not to portray an image of false religion to them nor is it to beat them down with a standard they can never attain. I want them to know the secrets of my heart, the depths of my failures, and the pain of my struggles. I want them to know Your hand on my life in a manner they serves Your purpose in theirs. I ask for the passion, humility, and wisdom I need to speak straight truth in their lives and I ask that they not have to look far to see that truth lived out in me.

No comments: