Thursday, April 10, 2008

Hidden Missions

Scripture: "Now a day before Saul's coming, the LORD had revealed this to Samuel saying, "About this time tomorrow I will send you a man from the land of Benjamin." 1 Samuel 9:15-16

Observation: This is one of my favorite stories. It is a great reminder of just how amazing God is. God is moving in both Samuel and Saul at the same time, but in vastly different methods. In the end, God is directing both men to intersect for His purposes. He had Saul out searching for lost donkeys and Samuel looking for a future king.

Application: The reminders contained in this verse are powerful. First, I look at Saul. The first few verses of chapter 9 reveal that his father had sent him searching for lost donkeys. That was Saul's revealed mission. It was the thing for which he labored. Saul sought out Samuel to guide him in his revealed mission. He did not come to him seeking to be king. He came to him looking for donkeys. Second, God had a concealed mission for Saul. As Saul wondered around the country looking for his fathers lost livestock, God was stirring in the heart of Samuel the verses noted above. He was telling Samuel to be ready. To be on the look out. He had heard the cries of the people and was preparing to move. Finally, look at Samuel's willingness to pay attention. He was preparing for a big event. The people were sacrificing on the high place and he was getting ready to lead them in the feast. God interrupts him. He does not give him all the information, but enough. Samuel does not stop what he is doing. He does not panic. Later in verse 23 I see that Samuel actually made plans to accommodate God's stirring in his heart.

Prayer: You move in ways that are unexpected. All that I can do is pursue the mission that You have revealed to me. That in and of itself can be quite difficult. I often assess the mission and many times I wonder how it can lead me to further Your work. I ask You to forgive me for my lack of trust and faith in You. I ask You to forgive my unwillingness to faithful in tasks, like searching for donkeys, that I deem unworthy of furthering Your Kingdom. Move inside of me and create a great desire to pursue even the most trivial of tasks with all that I have. As I do this, I pray for the awareness needed to be reminded of the unrevealed working of Your will around me. May I never become so focused on the task at hand that I fail to respond to the mission underneath.

I also ask for the wisdom and discernment I need to be effective in joining You in furthering the mission of others. Just like Samuel, I desire to have my routine duties be interrupted to help facilitate Your movement in the lives of others. Guard me from pride. From busyness. From distractions. From anything that would prevent me from having a spirit that is willing to join you.

No comments: