Thursday, April 17, 2008

It's Name is Acceptance

Scripture: "But as for me, I shall sing of Your strength; yes, I shall joyfully sing of Your loving kindness in the morning, for You have been my stronghold and a refuge in the day of my distress." Psalm 59:16

Observation: To me, this is an incredible Psalm. David was a mighty man. A man of valor. A man highly favored by God. He led armies to defeat nations. Killed bears, lions, and giants with only his hands or a sling-shot. There was much David could have done in response to adversity. In this Psalm, David lists all the things that his enemies were working against him. It is an evil list that covers everything from malicious slander to plans for murder. In light of the pressures and fears that David faced, he could have easily justified many reactions. He had the right to do a lot of things. Be that as it may, he chose to sing. He was not mad at God. He did not blame him. He sang to him.

Application: Life can just be flat out tough. On any given day, so many different things can happen. The list of potential evil seems daunting at times. There are days that by their end, I honestly feel like I did not have a chance. Days that upon reflection seem as if there were no other outcome possible other than for a sinful and disappointing result.

This has often caused me to search for solutions. I have tried everything. I have rebuked circumstances and bound them from my life. I have tried increasing my faith by believing that these things would not happen. I have fasted and prayed. I have gotten up early and stayed up late. I have called out to God with my eyes opened, eyes closed, arms up, arms down, on bended knees, or standing on top my desk. None of these attempts have resulted in anything other than me feeling like a failure and seeming like an indifferent and distant being.

This scripture reminds me of the one thing that I have found that does work. It was actually the last place I decided to look. It took me arriving at the end of myself to find it. The solution, it's name is acceptance.

Prayer: I know not what this day holds. There are so many uncertainties. So many things that are outside of my control. This morning has been a great reminder of the fact that there is only one thing that I have absolute control over; my reaction to things.

Acceptance is a hard pill to swallow. It is one that requires humility. It is one that requires surrender. The phrase David uses here to describe his surrender is really quite beautiful, "But as for me." Even looking at everything in his life, David chose to accept hardships and trust in You. He did not sing praises because of victory; he sang praises because You are worthy. You were so real in His life that he was able to draw upon Your strength to endure some really tough things. You allowed him the grace needed to lay down his rights and walk close to You in humility and obedience.

That is my desire for my life today. I honestly get embarrassed when I read back over my old journals and see things that I have prayed, believed or thought. I must have given You some really good laughs over the years as I have wrestled with growing up and maturing in Your word and Your will for my life.

In all of this You have led me to accept some things about life and You. Life is rough, but You are secure. Life is demanding, but you are forgiving. Life takes away from me, but You build me up. I am empty, but You are full. I am content with this. I choose to accept my hardships today as a small price to pay for Your greatness. Circumstances will be trying, but as for me I get to stand in Your mighty presence. There is no place I would rather be. Let my life be a song to You today.

No comments: