Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Stop Pushing Ropes

Scripture: "Begging us with much urging for the favor of participation in the support of the saints." 2 Corinthians 8:4

Observation: There is something magical in the grace of God being poured out on a people. It defies logic. It is compelling. People are drawn to it. What was taking place in the church of Macedonia is beyond all belief.

Application: My dad always told me that you can never push a rope. The older I get the more wisdom I see in that statement. I know that to be true. Experience has proven it. Yet, I often find myself feeling like that is what I do for a living. I push ropes. Or try to. Most of the time this leaves me feeling like I failed. It creates inside of me an overwhelming sense of frustration that often leads to anger. I study. I regroup. I will buy resources designed to help me get better at leading people through the basics of leadership and execution. But I wonder; how would my life differ if I stopped trying to push the ropes?

When I read about the church in Macedonia, I am amazed. There are no ropes. People are moving beyond what has been asked of expected of them. I love the thought of what Paul has seen. They are approaching him. Begging him to let them participate. Not because of anything Paul has done, but because so great is the outpouring of God's grace and their personal connection with His favor.

Prayer: I have heard it said many times that I can do nothing on my own. It is a saying that reverberates through churches the world over. It is a statement that I totally disagree with. I can do a lot on my own. I can create things. I can push things. I can will something into existence. I can force my hand. I have seen me do this many times. But there is something that I can't do. I can never create a movement of Your spirit. When I read stories like this one in 2 Corinthians I am reminded of just how great You are. I realize just how desperately I need You. I seek Your Grace this morning. The list of things on which I am working is long and I need to confess to You this morning that I am engaging my flesh and my own wisdom more than I am seeking an outpouring of Your grace on the people I serve. I pray that You reveal to me the discernment I need to find the balance between joining You in a work with the gifts that you have provided me and using the gifts that You have provided to create a work. I am tried of creating works. Instead, I am ready to experience Your favor in a way I have never seen.

No comments: