Monday, April 28, 2008

The Power of Humility

Scripture: "And a Canaanite woman from that region came out and began to cry out saying, "Have mercy on me Son of David, my daughter is cruelly demon-possessed." But he did not answer her a word." Matthew 15: 22-23



Observation: There are times in life when silence is the most powerful sound that you will ever hear. This women was tormented over what was taking place in the life of her daughter. She ran to Jesus and cried out for help. He said not a word.



Application: There is nothing that I hate more than what I feel after I pour my heart out to God and nothing happens. It is awful. I feel angry. Hurt. Let down. In a brief moment of disappointment, confusion sets in and eventually ushers in doubt. Not just doubt about whether God will answer prayers, but doubts about the very existence of God. There have been many times that I have attempted to abandon my beliefs and walk away from it all, but I never get very far. It reminds me of being a kid. I remember the many times I packed my bags and tried to runaway over something my mom or dad did that I did not agree with. I did not get very far away from home then and I have never really gotten that far from God either.


I have been down that road many times. I have felt many disappointments and consequently I have dealt with many doubts. I have wrestled with why things are the way they are and attempted to understand the reasons for things. Through it all I have learned that none of it makes any sense to me now and it more than likely never will. God follows a logic that is beyond my own. His ways are higher. His wisdom different. That really frustrates me.

In reading this woman's story, I see a few things for me to remember when I am seeking God through a difficult circumstance. First, know who I am addressing. She referred to Him as the Son of David. She knew Him to be the Son of God. She understood that He had the power and that it was at His discretion to use it. Second, she persisted. There was a fervency to her prayers. Even in the silence, she persisted. She persisted to the point that even the disciples had enough. I find it funny that they were "imploring" Jesus to send her away because she was shouting so much. Third, she stayed humble. When Jesus finally responded to her, He did not say what she expected. He reminded her of who He came to serve and that she was not one of them. But she did not react. She responded by humbly bowing down before Him and calling on God's good nature. Finally, it was her faith saved her daughter. So great was her faith that she captured the attention of Jesus. I think that Jesus knew in the beginning that He was going to heal her daughter. He put her through a little torture, not to be mean. Not to test her. But to prove her faith. Not to Him, but to herself. If he had just said yes, she would have never known the full extent of her faith.



Prayer:

I hate to hear silence. As much as I hate silence, I detest hearing a answer that I do not like. Staying humble is hard. I need Your help. I am tired of packing my bags and trying to escape. Remind me of just how great a God You are. Teach me to understand every fiber of Your being and to fully comprehend just how great is Your power. Teach me to be persistent in my prayers. I am tempted to give up so easy. Give me the strength and courage to stay engaged until I have captured Your attention over a matter. Keep me humble. I have no rights. I often approach You as though I do, but the reality is that You owe me nothing. Your promises to me have nothing to do with me, and have everything to do with Your name. Deepen my faith. As I go through confusing and testing times, remind me of just how much you have done for me. Remind me of just how much I have grown. In all things, I want to continue to walk through this life with You. I want to pursue You with all that I have and seek You above all that I chase. As I do, I fully trust that You will respond and move in my life.

No comments: