Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Signs, Signs...

Scripture:

"When it is evening, you say, It will be fair weather, for the sky is red. And in the morning, there will be a storm today, for the sky is red and threatening. Do you know how to discern the appearance of the sky, but cannot discern the signs of the times?" Matthew 14: 2-3


Observation:

Life is often lived interpreting signs. We look to the skies for an indication of the weather. We look at market reports as an indication of the state of the economy. We look at the emotions of our spouses to determine their mood. In almost every aspect of life we look around for signs that indicate where things are heading and what we should do in response. Can our spiritual lives be the same way?


Application:

I am really good at picking up on certain signs. With Brandy, there are certain looks that indicate her mood. I know them when I see them and I adjust accordingly. With each of my kids, there are certain behaviors that indicate what they really need from me. I adjust how I deal with them based on these signs. When I leave the church on Sunday mornings, I look at the traffic as a sign to tell me which exit I need to take. I rarely ever go through a day that I don't check my environment for signs and make adjustments based on what I am sensing. I am actually really good at doing this.


But where I excel at this in the natural world, I often struggle with it in the spiritual world. Now, I am not talking about looking for signs that prove I should believe in Jesus. Seeking those signs is rarely a healthy thing. It would be the equivalent of looking for my wife to prove her love for me. There is just no way to ask for that without being insulting to someone I am supposed to love. But I should seek signs as to what God is up to in my life. Where is He moving? Where is He working? What is He asking me to join Him in? I believe that those signs are everywhere. I get so occupied with the world that I see, I forget that there is an unseen world at work around me. I need to learn to tune in to these things and adjust my day according to what I see.


Prayer:

I believe that You are a God who moves and works in the lives of people. I believe that You never relent from Your desire to draw people unto Yourself. I believe that You constantly extend to me an invitation to join You in this work. I need to become better at seeing these signs. Most of the time I blow right by them. Slow me down and teach me to be aware of what You are doing. I do not want to be like the Pharisees in this verse. I do not want to be so caught up in being religious that I miss out on Your work. I do not want to get so wrapped up in my agenda that I lose sight of Yours. Psalm 139 says that you are intimately acquainted with all my ways. Teach me to be the same with Yours.

No comments: